Guilty Music Pleasure

Noted. I’m almost tempted to pull the posts now.

Puts a different light on it, Huh?

Take the last train to Clarksville
And I’ll meet you at the station
You can be there by four-thirty
'Cause I’ve made your reservation, don’t be slow
Oh, no, no, no
Oh, no, no, no

'Cause I’m leaving in the morning
And I must see you again
We’ll have one more night together
Till the morning brings my train and I must go
Oh, no, no, no
Oh, no, no, no

And I don’t know if I’m ever coming home

Indeed. On a counterpoint.

OK, here is a guilty pleasure that won’t be challenged, I think.

Any time someone posts the Monkees, it’s a good thing though.

Hell no, good buddy.

Hell yes, good buddy.

I’m going with my family to see an ABBA cover band called (weirdly) ABBA the Concert tomorrow night. No guilt! No shame!

Okay, maybe a little guilt and shame since I feel the need to explain that they’re playing here at Chautauqua Institution where we’re vacationing so it’s not like we planned it or anything. Still, should be fun!

My sister went to the ABBA museum in Stockholm recently and brought back one of these blue cat jumpers for my nine year-old so she’ll match the singer on stage. I trust this will earn her an invite to come up and dance with the band. It better!

And if we’re naming guilty pleasure ABBA songs, it’s Chiquitita. Obviously.

Fie on your Chiquitita. For me it can only be “Knowing Me Knowing You” (Uh Huhhhhhhh)

Been reading Simon Spence’s “When The Screaming Stops: The Dark History of the Bay City Rollers” (and holy shit, sordid isn’t strong enough a word for what was really going on behind the scenes) and it rekindled my affection for this fizzy gem from early childhood:

That is also some of the most perfunctory clapping you will ever see an audience do.

Yeah, I love that song too. But I give the edge to Chiquitita for the part where the beat drops in HARD af. Tonight, I expect that’s when the moshing will begin.

Sugar Sugar was played in the command module of Apollo 12 on cassette on the way to the moon in November 1969.

I don’t think any guilt accrues to Steppenwolf. They invented the term Heavy Metal. Easy Rider soundtrack…

OK,then. How about David Peel &The Lower East Side?

I dunno. @RichVR? Guilty or not?

On second thought, probably no guilt needed. Good enough for Lennon…

Peel was rediscovered by John Lennon in 1971 as the early seventies continued its swing towards the youth revolution. Lennon befriended Peel when David was playing with his ragtag hippie band in New York’s Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village. Lennon produced The Pope Smokes Dope for Peel.[2] This album was banned in many countries and since has been sought after by collectors worldwide.

So… no. Just Have a Marijuana, or two. :)