Guitar Hero 5 General Angst Thread

Jose Liz weighs in.

That’s not a review, that’s a feature list. Can I be a game reviewer? I can cut and paste ad copy too!

Nice press release there. “Editor’s Choice,” even. I wonder what, exactly, the editor does not choose.

Integrity? Dignity? Sarah Michelle Geller over Freddy Prinze Jr.?

And here’s the amazing response from Activision customer support:

I especially love the bolded part. I’m not asking for an EXTRA key. I’m asking for the key that should’ve been printed on my game manual and for whatever reason, was not. ARGH!

If there is anyone with GH:WT that has an unused unique product id for it and that has no intention of getting GH5, I’d be very grateful for the code. I’d be happy to pay a few bucks via PayPal even. Trust me when I say, I’m not scamming here. I’d be happy to take pictures of my manual to show it’s legit and the code portion is completely blank.

Oh snap, before I clicked the link I was like “I bet it’s a 9.5 / 10”. But he sure showed me! 9.8, bitches!

He also gave GH: Smash Hits and GH: Metallica 9.8s. GH: World Tour was clearly a steaming pile of shit at 9.7, and not even worth mentioning is Rock Band 2 at 9.5, or coming in at a horrible 9.0, GH: Aerosmith, scoring a zero on Jose’s 9-10 scale. (The key is to ignore the “9.” that precedes the real score)

Hmmm, WT at 7/10 and M at 8/10 is pretty much what I’d go for actually. RB2 would be a 9 but mostly on the “platform” side of things. The tracklist was as middling as WT’s and there are several quality of life improvements from WT that RB2 could really do with.

Oh god, I’ve just typed a “this game is definitely an 8, not a 7” post.

Just like every anime review scale ever!

This set list is shit. It’s very hard for me to get into this game when I hate or am ambivalent to 80% of the songs.

They even picked a bad White Stripes song. Throw a dart at a board and you’ll get a great WS song and they come out with Blue Orchid?

I can give you mine. (If my manual has it!)

I’ll PM you after I get off work.

Activision didn’t pull any stops with the game’s soundtrack

Just stop. Just fucking stop. Please fucking STOP.

Jose, the phrases you’re looking for here are either “Activision didn’t pull any punches” or “Activision pulled out all the stops.” When you make a 3rd grade mistake like this in the beginning of your review, it’s a sign you’re a hack of the highest fucking order. PLEASE STOP. Reviews like this just make everyone look bad.

I’d definitely appreciate it Telefrog.

Just to update that whole fiasco, I emailed Destructoid, Kotaku, and The Consumerist about my problem. It’s just not right for Activision to refuse to help me.

This is my new favorite post.

I can almost taste the salty tears spilling down sluggo’s cheeks.

I also LOLed at:

I think he meant to use the word “relegating” instead of “relinquishing.”

Wow, you pulled out all the punches, didn’t you?

-Tom

That just blows my mind away.

He didn’t pull any stops with his comments either.

Have you included a scan of the manual sans-code? People like pictures.

Thanks to the fortress of pure concentrated awesome that is my RB library, I can’t get excited about any collection of songs picked by somebody else. I keep adding more awesome every week or so, and periodically trim some songs that no longer live up to the ever-increasing standards of awesomeness I require. And the biggest thing about the GH5 setlist is that of the songs I would be interested in, most of them either are or soon will be available for RB.