Gunnerkrigg Court

Until that post it was hundred of pages a day, for me.

It’s that old “starting from the beginning of a good comic” problem. :) Once you catch up, you have to wait for each page. :)

This is only a problem for good comics.

Today’s Gunnerkrigg is awesome, even though it’s at the beginning of a story arc.

Agreed. Not only did he genuinely surprise me, but he made me laugh as well.

I was just coming here to comment on the same thing.

Annie’s just itchin’ for a comeuppance at this rate, though. You can only push the limits of tolerance of both the court and the forest so far…

(Though Coyote’s being a jerk, too. You just don’t invite somebody from the other side over and then boss them around, however playfully!)

Today’s strip is one of my new favourites. OF COURSE Coyote breaks the fourth wall. That’s just the kind of guy he is.

Sometimes I think the best part of each comic is Tom’s comment at the bottom.

Another great day. He just keeps getting better.

ah, jones just the way i always wanted to see her… dirty, topless, and wrestling a gigantic beast

Just linking to the comic in question. For… archival purposes.

I can’t believe he didn’t show Jones’s tits

How far back is Jones going to go?

The worst part about this chapter is that every time a new comic is posted, I think, “Finally, we get to learn about Jones.” But instead, Tom just goes further back in time.

Some point around 100 years ago I was thinking, “OK, Tom, we get it already,” but no. He just keeps going further and further back.

naked wrestling the buffalobeast was awesome though

tiiiiiiiiits

Ahahahahahaha

I ran through the whole archive over the last two days. It’s cool! Sometimes the influences overpower the thing, Harry Potter in particular – heavy on the friendship theme, Jones = Snape, the secret history of the parents, orphan protagonist – and sometimes the plots seem more like excuses to wiki new mythology than anything… but there is some pretty great storytelling.

Very interesting to get a sense of his strengths and weaknesses as an artist. Obviously the production value has really jumped since the first few chapters, but he almost always draws the faces from a select few angles. (Antimony’s only been in profile like 5 times during the whole run.) He’s really good at flowy lines, and absolutely is in love with the trick of using hair to connect two different images of Annie. His hands are pretty good, his feet are not. Coyote is brilliantly drawn, very bold and stylized, while Ysengrim has fussy little lines and weird perspective.

He fell in love with textured backgrounds during the middle of the run, whereas before he’d drawn pretty intricate backgrounds. Face shapes are pretty much all the same, as are eyes, with a few exceptions. (And I’m pretty sure the eyes are always too high on the face. You can see this most clearly with Kat’s father.)

I have the advantage of knowing nothing about Harry Potter except that it’s set in a boarding school that teaches magic and that “Snape” murders an elderly homosexual in the end.

Yeah, I’d say it’s not that much like Harry Potter, other than being set in a Boarding School.

Magical boarding school. Which already means it’s 90% like Harry Potter, since that’s a pretty sparsely populated genre.