Gunnerkrigg Court

Thanks for posting this, Ben. Absolutely hypnotic to watch.

I’m a little surprised he’s doing this so close to “print” - I guess he used up his backlog of pages?

That’s a good point… I’m not really sure. Maybe he doesn’t do the chapter covers in advance.

“Everything I draw tonight looks like shit. So goodnight.”

I guess there’s something to be said for drawing without an audience. Still, it was fascinating. Was Annie dreaming of herself in the upper left hand corner? I guess we’ll know on Friday. Also, “Not Muut” was hilarious.

Oh man… this comic is soooooooooo good.

Interesting fact I learned… know how she’s got thick eyeshadow on all the time? Antimony – the metal – was a key ingredient in kohl, an eyeshadow from way back in ancient times. And you know what kohl was called in southern Asia? Surma.

That IS interesting. Thanks, Rimbo.

A gift from Coyote! Nothing could possibly go wrong here!

Sometimes his comments just make me laugh out loud.

This latest arc has really upped the Coyote creepiness factor. All eyes and teeth, indeed.

Coyote’s a dick. He’s treated Ysengrin and Reynardine like shit. I say we enter the comic as minor characters and kick his ass.

Definitely creepy. He’s less of a trickster now and is starting to seem evil. Or a sociopath.

Coyote is completely consistent with the archetype, if “consistent” is even applicable when describing a god of disruption.

• Alan

Same here. To be sure, it’s interesting to see what he’ll do. I get the feeling Coyote’s treated Antimony with kid gloves up until now. If he keeps on doing so, I can’t help but wonder what it is that stays his… paw. Tooth. Whatever. Because Coyote so far has treated Antimony with a level of… dare I say respect??? that he gives to no other creature. And maybe it’s because Antimony is so completely fearless around him. She’s seen his power, she knows he’s a fucking god, but… while she doesn’t treat him with contempt or anything, she’s … ahh, here it is, speaking of Tom’s comments:

Coyote likes the fact that Carver does not hesitate to shrug him off.

Also, you know if Coyote does anything to harm Antimony, Reynardine won’t sit still.

Ah, yes, that’s true… she does have an Attack Fox.

Yep, this is one thing I love about Coyote.

Wow. Usually I am the first to hate these types of characters, but for whatever reason I actually like Coyote. All this hate kind of caught me off guard. I also wouldn’t rule out there being a reason for half the things he does, like supposedly dicking Carver over with Ysengrin if anything just brought them a tiny bit closer.

Not to get into a Batman vs Superman argument here but I don’t think Reynardine is in the same league as Coyote.

It’s not hate. Coyote’s being an asshole. Doesn’t mean we don’t love the character.

Not to get into a Batman vs Superman argument here but I don’t think Reynardine is in the same league as Coyote.

Seems likely to me as well. All the more reason why Coyote’s paws-off approach with Antimony is so interesting.

Ditto. I love Coyote’s character. I think Alan described him perfectly as a god of disruption, which is clearer in this story arc.

Thirded. Gendal’s kinda jumping to conclusions there equating “creepy” with “hatred”. Coyote’s a fascinating character, but he’s definitely coming across as much more sinister than his past, “happy-go-lucky-trickster” image. I like that it’s showing the darker edge to Coyote, and the comic’s really played up the “teeth and eyes” imagery, which further highlights that Coyote is alien, mercurial, and dangerous, and you can’t tell what he’s thinking or where Antimony stand with him.

Coyote is a trickster god, and tricksters are always assholes. Sometimes they’re happy-go-lucky assholes, who get off on making people look like idiots. Sometimes they’re vicious bastards.

Coyote is actually a pretty decent guy, as tricksters go. He’s pure sweetness and light compared to Loki.

I’m not very familiar with the European folklore of Reynard the trickster fox, but I don’t believe he was portrayed as an asshole, but more of a well-meaning rogue. Maybe he was an asshole to his rival/archenemy, Ysengrin?