Guns, guns, guns!

When I first started pistol shooting I looked at this guide and I think it helped me out a lot.

Go by the quality of the shop. A used gun from a great gun store will likely be as good as new. Go to a pawn shop, and you’re asking for trouble. I don’t buy any guns new if I can help it, but I have modest gunsmithing ability.

For a revolver, a quick and dirty check:

Open the cylinder, give it a spin, and see if the ejector rod waggles or if it looks straight. Gently close the cylinder. (never slam the cylinder closed. Revolvers DO break.)

Look at the gap between the front of the cylinder and the forcing cone (the rear of the barrel.) You should see a consistent, very thin gap. If you have a sparkplug gapping tool, you want it to be between .002 and .008.

Lastly, cock the hammer, and see how much play remains in the cylinder side-to-side. It will move slightly, but anything over maybe half a millimeter is too much.

H.

(Note that you will not hear a clicking sound. :)

Or if you do, put it back in the case.

H.

Thanks!

That’s nice. But did you hear about the Canadian sniper in Afghanistan who has the confirmed kill from 2,310 meters. That’s 1.435 miles!

So I live in New York City. Do ranges exist in Manhattan? Er, stupid question - is there such a thing as an indoor rifle range? I have some experience with the SA80, but none with handguns. Wouldn’t mind trying some out for the experience…

According to this video, there is only one shooting range in Manhattan, and they do allow you to fire a rifle at it.

Yes, I did hear about that. Doesn’t make a five-shot grouping that’s this tight any less impressive though. This guy is like Robin Hood with a .50 caliber. :)

I had the opportunity to shoot one of those Kriss .45 submachine guns over the weekend. Pretty sweet little gun. My only complaints are that when reloading it’s kind of forward heavy so it strains the hand (unless you tuck the stock under your arms) and that the trigger is kinda mushy. You have to really release it before pulling it again or it kinda mushes.

Accurate as hell, low as hell recoil and really neat looking, though.

Oh wow, I thought for sure the Kriss was vapourware for sure. Very neat gun, did they put any sort of MSRP on it?

Edit: Nevermind (WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Yeah, it’s a bit pricey. Thought shooting a submachine gun style gun was fun. A carbine, I guess you’d call it.

I’m thinking of picking up one of these this weekend. .22 caliber, because ammo is so damn expensive now.

Ooo, lets see if my Counter-strike knowledge will pay off.

Is that a MP5SD? Didn’t know they made .22 versions.

[nerd mode]It won’t ;)This is an MP5 SD, the difference being that the SD has a built-in sound suppressor. And it’s technically not an MP5 since it isn’t made by Heckler & Koch any more (they’ve switched to the UMP and MP7 designs instead). Also, I’m not sure that’s a real sound suppressor, but rather a barrel shroud to legally make it a carbine (as opposed to a handgun).[/nerd mode]

PS: Damn, I really have to learn to post images soon.

I was excited about this when they announced it, but the GSG-5 is crap. Buy a 10-22.

What do you mean by “it’s crap”. Reviews Ive read have said it’s a fun little gun. Plus they have all kinds of fun accessories for it.

I’ve heard it’s just cheaply made and prone to crack, but I haven’t read any of the ‘professional’ reviews, so it’s entirely possible these were comments from snooty H&K fanbois.

Edit: but seriously, buy a 10-22 also then.

Via Firearm Blog.

Heh.
That’s certainly how the media here reports on anything gunrelated.

Where in the DC area did you manage to find one of those?