Gunship video in Afghanistan

Check out this video of a gunship attack in Afghanistan.

Link from coasttocoastam.com

Also can download from this SR-71 site…

http://www.wvi.com/~lelandh/ac130_gunshipmed.wmv

Imagine these gunships in Iraq… yeesh, it’s gonna be a killzone! They won’t attack Mosque’s, so they are showing respect…

Oh yeah, its a prop ac 130… those things still do there job!

etc

I guess playing video games does help you kill when you are in the military.

Chet

That video is excellent. Shows the professionalism of our soldiers.

I have a more propoganda-ish video that was linked from Instapundit.com for everybody:

Cool Propoganda Video

What are they shouting when they fire? It sounds like: “Go!” “Got it!” But that’s not it.

OK, that’s terrifying how … distant all this is.

I mean, you’re looking at little black and white dots, not people. I imagine this feels less personal than what bomber pilots during World War II felt when blasting cities. And here they’re aiming artillery (105mm cannon IIRC) at specific targets, not just randomly dropping bombs.

I have a more propoganda-ish video that was linked from Instapundit.com for everybody:

Cool Propoganda Video

wow the original source material for the sublime satire that is Starship Troopers. thanks for the link.

Aint it great how modern technology can circumvent our natural instincts by making killing people so…impersonal.

OK, that’s terrifying how … distant all this is.

I mean, you’re looking at little black and white dots, not people. I imagine this feels less personal than what bomber pilots during World War II felt when blasting cities.

What?!!?!!

Yeah, when they were dropping bombs from 20,000 feet they really got a good look at the individuals on the ground. Especially the British during their night raids, it must have been like they were holding the hands of the guys they were bombing.

Chet

The prevailing anti-war sentiment on this board seems to be just that…anti-war, absurdo reductum.

The philosophy is no more complex than “What’s all this fighting about? Isn’t there a better way? Aren’t we all human beings, after all?”

When even Christopher Hitchens is lambasting your contentless beliefs, it’s time to reexamine what you’re saying.

As much as I’m in favor of invading Iraq, Hitchens is a friend-betraying fuckhead drunkard who’s just been waiting to pull a fast one on all his “right-thinking liberal friends” by switching sides. Hating Kissinger doesn’t automatically make you a liberal; he’s been a neocon in hiding for years.

Jason,

It’s a bad idea to say things like that about people on the internet. Apparently, it’s possible to be sued for libel.

I’d also recommend against calling Tom Cruise gay since it isn’t true.

It sounded like “Birdie!” or “Thirty!” to me.

My feeling is this:

The AC-130 video was terrifying. I would NOT want to be on the receiving end of ANY sort of smack down from the U.S. Military. They are NOT kidding around.

The “propoganda” video was awesome. I’m very glad that this country is the one that has the armed forces shown in that film. Yay armed forces! Yay U.S.A.!

I believe it is the loader for the 105mm shouting, “Gun ready!”

Can’t be libel if its true.

No, there’s no denying that they knew they were killing civilians. Especially not the thousand-bomber raids over Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Dresden. When your bomber is right over a bunch of houses with no factories in sight and you’re dropping bombs, you know you’re not hitting the traditional military target. Watch Discovery Wings, they have a few shows about the raids and one or two talk to bomber crews about it.

You still see people, buildings, vehicles. Not black and white moving pixels. Anyway, I’m just speaking of my own feelings when watching the videos. Seeing bombing runs makes me think of all the people that died. Watching this AC130 strike is a little surreal. The first thoughts that struck me were that after hitting the obvious targets, all they did was go for the moving ones. It was like duck hunt. With crappy graphics and a better projectile physics engine. I’d have fewer qualms about doing that than unloading a dozen 500lb bombs over a suburb of Kabul.

Libel is also pretty difficult to prosecute, even in the best of circumstances. I’m sure one of the lawerly types can chime in here, but don’t libel cases place a heavy burden of proof on the victim (especially when the victim is a public figure)?

Just pretend the suburb is populated by gimps.

Yeah, exactly, you’ve got it. Wow, that makes it so much easier. :thumbsup:

Libel is also pretty difficult to prosecute, even in the best of circumstances. I’m sure one of the lawerly types can chime in here, but don’t libel cases place a heavy burden of proof on the victim (especially when the victim is a public figure)?[/quote]

The Libel Defense Resource Center

Internet Law Focus - Libel on the Internet

Defamation on the Internet

Wow. That last link is insane.