Gustav Gasoline Over/Under

Ok, bets are closed once it makes landfall.

What’s the average national price of gasoline going to be the weekend after Gustav hits?

AAA reports $3.68 is national average at the moment.
http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/

Let’s set median pricing at $4.00 a gallon.

I’m in for over, predicting $4.39 within a week

Will Bush and the Republicans “let” gas prices get that bad again close to the election?

No. Prediction of highest price: $4.10 a gallon. Probably will be < $4.00.

I’m saying under, but just to be clear, that’s on regular gasoline, per the link that the OP provided.

CNN was saying it might get over $5.

No matter what, I went ahead and filled 'er up today. I’m covered.

Yeah, short term gas prices, who really cares.

More interesting will be the extent to which Bush pushes for immediate large-scale commitment to rebuild New Orleans.

On the one hand, the GOP can’t afford to look like uncaring idiots a second time in the same circumstances, but on the other hand, the country will be hard pressed to rebuild in any reasonable time frame given the terrible state of the budget and the apparent ineptness (don’t know if that’s true, but it looks that way) of the Army Corps of Engineers.

I think The Onion might have made this point a few weeks ago, but seriously, is it really possible that our most advanced antiflooding technology is “the sandbag”?

At least we could spend a few billion dollars and pile some of those Japanese tetrapod things on the beach, even if it doesn’t do any good, at least it looks kind of cool.

I think prices will peak at a national average of 3.80$. Oil companies who do business in Louisiana just got hit by a massive hurricane three years ago, so theoretically they should be prepped for this and production should only be affected for a couple of days.

In the meantime, I found this sweet website where you enter your zip code and it tells you where the cheapest gas is.

I voted under simply because most of the damage done by Katrina hasn’t been repaired; effectively, the region is already having an effect. I’m sure it can get worse but I doubt it will be a lot worse.