GW Bush Vs GW Bush - and the winner is?

http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/play.php?player=realplayer&type=v&quality=high&reposid=50803880

OK, the bit was funny, but you can’t take it too seriously given that one set of comments was pre-9/11 and the other was post. Things are bound to change once you get your nads crushed when someone dumps the weight of the world in your lap.

I’m not Bush’s biggest fan by a longshot but I have to agree with Brad. The skit isn’t nearly as clever as alot of Jon’s stuff because anybody can justifiably change positions after a major event.

Yeah but…

His cabinet is still the same, filled with the same people who had plans in the works. He was using this campaign twist to attack gore/clinton on Kosovo/Somolia. There is always an excuse.

And this is hardly the only point where he has done a complete backflip from what he campaigned on to what he did once in office. Or did 9/11 also effect the enviroment somehow and now we need to pass laws hostile to the enviroment? Maybe somehow cutting educational programs, or cutting energy price relief to the poor - while campaiging or raising both were somehow effected by 9/11?

What I heard more than for any other presidential candiate, it is okay if he is stupid, he will surround himself with smart people. Instead he surrounded himself with dull witted thugs - when you put sheets over classic greek statues because they offend your sense of decency - give me a break.

Chet

I’m praying to holy Jeebus that Bush is voted out next year. But you can’t knock him on flip-flops – his 2000 campaign was all about tax cuts, opening up Alaska to oil drilling, gutting federal programs, and other bedrock policies of compassionate conservatism.

As far as the change of heart on nation-building and foreign intervention…well, the Daily Show bit conspicuously leaves out the interceding Nightmare Assault on the country.

I’m praying to holy Jeebus that Bush is voted out next year.

Dammit, Morris, I just can’t draw a bead on you politically. But I’m with you here except that I’m also praying to holy Mohammed and Vishnu, too.

-Tom

To be fair, he hasn’t “gutted” anything. He’s presiding over the largest spending increase since early Reagan.

Dammit, Morris, I just can’t draw a bead on you politically.

For: Roe v. Wade, flag-burning, legalized drugs, strict gun control, stringent environmental protections, single-payer health care, abandonment of NAFTA/GATT, and videogame gore.

Against: Inviting a rain of disaster on U.S. cities.

I’m curious to know how “hawkish” liberals are going to vote in the next election. Especially those who also support “videogame gore”. Any idea who your candidate is likely to be, Dan?

That’s a damn fine question. I’ve never cast a vote for a Republican in my life – the very notion fills me with what Bret Easton Ellis would call “a nameless dread.”

But not a single one of these Democratic candidates has yet described a responsible position on national security.

I hope someone steps up.

Yeah, I’m going to be in a bind as well. I normally vote libertarian, but if I remember right I vowed to vote for “a warmed-over salad if that’s what the Democrats run” in order to get GWB out of office. I can’t stand the guy.

If the Dems run Lieberman, though…man, that would be a tough choice, because I really don’t like what I’ve seen of him to date.

It is a very clever piece. You have to give them that and not over analyze it. There is a democratic senator from Virginia or Maryland I really like. His name escapes at this moment, but he’s pretty direct in his views on the country and the world.

Hey, I voted for Nader in the last election and have been getting crap for it ever since.

Shouldn’t that be you, Morris? You talk a good game, but you aren’t willing to lace 'em up. I think you need to start small, y’know, a couple of years in the House as rep from the Bay Area before moving on to bigger things. You could bring that youth and energy back to the Democratic party, not to mention drop Lieberman down a political hole somewhere. Sadly, whatever momentum your presidential campaign would have would be sapped by the choice of Hunter Thompson as your running mate.

Interesting. Just when you think you know a guy, he comes up a few points to the left of you (at least if you count that libral vs conservative test in the other thread).

You could bring that youth and energy back to the Democratic party

“Abortions for some…miniature American flags for all!”

Hey, I voted for Nader in the last election and have been getting crap for it ever since.

Hey, congratulations on putting Bush in office. Thanks. Thanks very much.

In the next election, I’ll continue to vote for the candidate who isn’t a dumbass. Is it really too much to ask? I know Murph loves Bush-- and great minds think alike-- but next time, can we please have a president who can form coherent sentences? Consistently?

The ones who aren’t dumbasses never make it through the primaries.

but next time, can we please have a president who can form coherent sentences?

What’s more important to you: basic grammar skills, or PREVENTING AN EVIL LIBRUL DESPOT FROM MAKING YOUR DAUGHTER GET AN ABORTION AFTER A TERRORIST CELL OF LESBIANS RECRUIT HER AND ARTIFICIALLY IMPREGNATE HER WITH CLONED DEMON SEED DURING SOME STATE-SPONSORED DEVIL WORSHIP WHILE READING HER TREATISES ON CULTURAL RELATIVISM?

If the moral choice isn’t clear, the CAPS should help.

I’m confused.

Politics can be hard to read.

I sound, and generally am, pretty liberal but I worked phones for John McCain in the primaries. The way I see it we won’t be able to have a responsive government that’s really willing to do what’s best for this country until we trim out as much corruption as possible. McCain’s as genuine a pro-campaign reform candidate as I’ve ever seen and he’s also outspokenly critical of the religious right - he took Pat Robertson to task in the man’s base of Virginia Beach. He and I might not see eye-to-eye on the environment and in light of Iraq he and I would also have a serious split but at the time, and based on my best judgement, 4 or 8 years of reform were the first order of business.

Ralph Nader and the Greens are jokes, it’s unfortunate but true, but worse they’re jokes that got Bush elected. I ended up casting a futile vote for Gore in the heavily republican state of Virginia.

The only candidate I completely then despised ended up narrowly winning, or something like that, the election. And he’s gone on true to form - talking one game while playing another. Or, rather, Cyrano de Rove has.