Hack attempts at Steam account

Did you do an OS install?

I logged into Steam online from work esterday and had to verify (as I expected to). I wonder how they’re doing it.

Nope, same OS - I had to re-certify with M$, but that was it.

Odd. I just got a new laptop up to speed and did have to renew the steam guard credential.

Is it possible you used a processor that doesn’t have the embedded unique id that intel uses? I believe that’s what steam guard uses, but I haven’t used a non-intel for awhile.

That isn’t the case. I have two computers behind the same router. I was preparing my 2nd one for Diablo 3 and wanted to launch steam to uninstall a bunch of games from that computer. When I tried to log in, it sent the email for verification. I had not used my steam account on that computer after they introduced that security feature.

So being behind a router will not bypass this protection. It must be something else.

I updated from an E6850 to an i5 2500k. I think those both still worked with that, but perhaps the C2D was before that time.

Very weird stuff. Hmm. Maybe I’ll shoot an email to them inquiring. It might be nice to get a message that’s not complaining about being unable to access your games or European pricing, for a change.

Somewhat off topic, but I haven’t logged in to Steam in years and have no idea what my password is. When I go to Settings-Change Password, the first step asks for my current password. I do not know my current password. Anyone know a way to change it without knowing it?

I think IP address might come into the equation somewhere. With my old laptop, and travelling around I used wireless broadband rather than the traditional cable/DSL connection. When I disconnected and reconnected that connection with steam still open, it would actually throw me the steam guard request. I could only put it down to a change in IP address at the time.

Try the “Retrieve a lost account…” option on the login screen, and you should be able to reset to password after going through a verification email. Assuming you still have a valid email account set on it, otherwise you’re probably going to have to go through customer support.

Ok, I may be sounding like an ass, but how do I get to the login screen? I tried going to offline mode and when I went to go back online it automatically logged me in. Also, when I exit Steam and try to reenter it automatically signs me in.

Found it! Needed to go to Setting>Login as different user. Then the user/password screen comes up.

One more thing on Steam, why the hell is it when browsing sweet, sweet deals when I click the back button, I start at the frickin’ beginning of said deals even though I may be 8 to 10 pages in? They can’t figure that out? Come on! I mean really.

Weird issue. Anyone else unable to change their contact email address? For the past month on various machines I’ve tried to update my email address from something that I had retired to a new one. It always times out, different computers, different everything.

Have you tried doing it through the website instead? (assuming that’s available on the website)

Steamguard is all well and good but I would really like them to offer an authenticator + SMS updates when the account changes as Blizzard offers it.
I’m willing to pay for that.