Hades (SuperGiant Games)

You will die after 15-30 minutes the first times. Each time you get a bit more powerful, allowing to finally reach the end of the game.

Ah, so it sounds like an ARPG/Roguelike mashup.

You also don’t level up or have a skill tree, unlike ARPGs, nor have mouse-driven controls like Grim Dawn or Diablo.

Well, you don’t have to use the mouse in Grim Dawn or Diablo 3 either. They’re much better with the gamepad.

Sounds like an isometric action roguelite then – no RPG.

It is only an RPG in the colloquial, broadly used sense. It isn’t like, say, Disco Elysium or Torment or anything.

It is an isometric action game with lots of randomization in the enemies you face and powers you evolve, with a meta progression scheme allowing for gradual unlocking of new tactical options.

It differs from stuff like diablo in that it leans heavier into the action aspect- the game tests your reflexes and ability to learn patterns and enemy animations.

There is no end to this yet, right? Like the actual end of the story isn’t even in place?

As of right now: no.

Also, don’t expect a big tale with cutscenes and whatnot. The basic plot is: Hades’s son wants to leave hell to find his mother.

Most of the lore aspect comes to gradually learning a bit more about the characters you meet and, in some cases, sorting out relationship issues by talking to them again and again with each round.

That said, I’m really digging the game and the flow of combat. Easily got enough playtime out of it even in its current incomplete state.

Oh yeah, I’m not bemoaning it. I bought it back during the sale. I’m just waiting until the game is functionally complete.

I do wish they would give a little better idea for when that will be beyond “2020.”

EDIT: Also, I would love to be able to transfer the game to Steam without having to buy it over again. Kind of sucks - I probably should have waited. I’ve learned my lesson with things like Phoenix Point, I think. There is utterly no reason for me to buy something under an Epic Exclusive unless it is literally done, confirmed bug free, and confirmed a great game.

I picked it up on Epic because it looked (and totally is) awesome and while I don’t regret the 15-20 hours I put in on and off while it was getting major updates (it was fun to see the changes, sort of like how Don’t Starve was fun to beta test) I do wish I could play it on Steam. I suppose there is likely a way to copy my save game over from the EPIC install folder, or maybe it even uses the same Documents\ location though, but I don’t really want to buy it again.

On the other hand, I wanted but still have yet to pick up Pyre and I believe picking up Hades gives a free Pyre code, so maybe I WILL double-dip after all, assuming I can move my progress over.

As for the kind of gameplay this is - it’s not an RPG, it’s closer to Spelunky in structure, if Spelunky had a strong meta game (which just got even stronger with the most recent update). You earn several resources as you play that can unlock passive upgrades for future runs, and just recently added, new ways to use the weapons. Each weapon is really cool and fun to use, though I have a few favorites.

I cannot recommend this enough, it’s super fun and feels good to play.

Sounds good. Sounds like a rogue-lite Bastion/Transistor (ie. narrative isometric action games), which is great, because that’s what SuperGiant knows how to do.

With the 10 dollar coupon this is tempting to get on epic, but this is the type of game that steam achievements could be fun. Anyone have the steam version and can comment if the achievements are fun to shoot for?

It’s early access, so there are no achievements in place yet.

Finally cleared the game. Took me long enough! They clearly want it to have legs, as beating the game give you a whole host of ways you can make it more difficult… in exchange for rewards, of course!

The game is fantastic. I am almost embarrassed to have gotten it for ten bucks from the epic store. All I can say is I will buy the hell out of this a second time if and when it comes to Switch.

It’s simply a brilliant game. I can’t recommend it enough!

I like when games do this as I probably wouldn’t replay them otherwise.

Even if it didn’t offer rewards for completing the game and replaying, Hades is a bit like Spelunky or Slay the Spire in that playing it over and over again, even if you beat it once, is a no-brainer just because the moment to moment gameplay loop, and the random assortment of rooms, enemies, boons, and rewards you find along the path, never stops being fun.

I had been considering double-dipping to pick this up on Steam but @Mark_L’s comment about buying it on Switch made me realize I’d rather get it there. Plus I have a lot of stuff unlocked on PC already, it would be pretty cool to start over again on the Switch, incentive to dig into it fresh again.

That’s awesome. I love the theme and it’s pretty as hell, but looks way too hard for me.

This is one fantastic game.

Isn’t it? I’m barely into it, but the voice acting is just superb. And the feel/flow of the game is great. A bit like Dead Cells in how they just nailed the movement/combat flow/feeling.

I agree. I’ve been playing a lot of it lately and I really like the progression curve. Currently focusing on getting really good with the Rail. I like how each weapon plays so differently and how the different god powers can change your play style every run.

I’ve only been able to get to the third “boss” and they kick my ass every time. I had a great run the other day with the Rail where I had unlimited ammo, and my regular attack did Doom damage, my special caused weak, my cast also caused weak, and my dash was doubled and pushed people away, oh and my ultimate would charm enemies to fight for me. That was a blast.

In typical Supergiant fashion the music and voice acting is great. Even though I’ve been focusing on the Adament Rail sometimes I’ll swap weapons back and forth just so I can hear Zagreus growl “I need the Rail”.