Hades (SuperGiant Games)

Nice to know I’m not the only one very underwhelmed by Aphrodite’s Weak status effect.

That said my first success was with the Aphrodite Dionysus dual boon for Pom boosting, so I think it is a pretty great boon.

Weak is weak, but the Aphrodite Call is sublime.

Because I can’t have my son showing me up!

And Aphrodite abilities hit like trucks.

I suspect that ship has sailed

While the goals are inverted, I actually think it’s an interesting reminder of how deep you can (should?) think about the boon interactions. Like, his discussions about making sure he never picked an ability that would accidentally trigger Privileged Status. I think that Pom Boost was bad specifically because:

• He had Passion Dash, which is bad, and boost-able. Boosting it doesn’t make it meaningfully better
  • He only had ~4 boons, and I only 3 were boost-able. That means he’s guaranteed to be able to boost Passion Dash every time he seems a Pom, which basically means that the Pom does nothing.

So, it’s particularly bad specifically because he doesn’t have any boons that he wants to boost, and he can ensure he can never get value out of it. The other 2 would give some non-zero value.

Oh sure, you can make it terrible.

But in my run I got it in like the 6th or 7th room, which made it a fantastic value. I was boosting some of my boons up to level 8.

LA LA LA LA - I can’t hear you!

No seriously sonny… speak up. Whipper snappers.

I didn’t beat the game until run ~50. I feel like the game meets you where you’re at, for the most part, so long as you enjoy the combat as you are trying to get further than last time. It’s all good.

I’m also a fan of boosting the heat as far as you can with your favorite if you’re having fun and success. I tapped out with weapons anywhere between 5 (fists) and 20 (bow) heat. (Now that I wrote that, I want to play again…)

Bought the spear, and life became much better! Also ended up rebinding some buttons - spamming dash-attack on some weapons was crazy.

Final part on of the Noclip documentary is out. Covers the post-launch period in the studio.

Babies first win. Mostly a Poseidon/Zeus build. I’m not a min/maxer at all.

I got the Epic Electric Shot right out of the gate which carried me through the first half of the game, but my weapon upgrades Triple Jab and Flurry Jab trivialized most of the content in the 2nd half. I had a Poseidon push dodge and the Zeus dodge lightning strike, which I only really utilized for the Hades and Minotaur/Theseus fights. I also received an 11th hour Hermes buff (purchased after I cleared every Satyr tunnel) which allowed me to dodge 4 times in a row, so I was just a dodgy/zap/wave/stabby whirling dervish by the Hades fight. I couldn’t slow down enough to even utilize my cast.

Got my first win with the Daedalus boon of -60% health, but +2 health per attack. Combined with the dog collar, Flurry Strike (no button mashing!), and something that reduced trap damage, it was completely overpowered and broken - lots of boons ended up lvl 4 or 5 as well. And the only reason I got to see the victory screen!

Oh yeah, Cursed Slash on the Stygian blade, very solid. First time I made it to Elysium was with that.

That was terrific thanks. I did 4 open world games since hades hit but went back to it last night. I bought on Steam for 20 and synced and started playing with an Xbox controller which I really like. I went from like 12 to over 20 runs now that I can see the exact count. Can tell I’m going to play through to final ending.

Just hit run 27. I beat Megaera on run 25 with the bow of all things.

Cursed slash is pretty great but vulnerable to bug damage spikes which still makes the Hades fight quite tricky.

Maybe the best boon against hades is the Athena duo boon that lets you regain health constantly when you have no more deaths defiance.

Yep, the one that gives you +1 health per second (which I think is the same one Soapyfrog describes) is how I got my first win. Being careful when Hades uses his Lazor attack allows for some regen time.

God I wish I could turn down the volume for individual voices in this game. Most voices are okay, even though they go a little stupid with the reverb, but some voices are wholly unlistenable. Even though muting everybody is currently the best available option, doing so has its own issues.

I had 2 wins pretty easily, but a series of pretty bad failures followed. Only got to Hades once, and that was through a series of lucky death defiance replacements. Started with 3. Got all 3 reset by, uh the sad guy in Elysium, purchased 2 death defiance replacements at 2 separate times, and then got a free death defiance from Athena. Strangely enough I never died in Styx, mostly due to a sweet Legendary boon from Athena which blocked the first time I was damaged every 20 seconds. I was able to buy almost all of the goods in Styx, and raided the whole temple, reached Hades a little more confidently with 3 death defiance, and still managed to f* it up. My damage output was terrible and my 2 main attacks (rocket lob, and Dionysus cast lob) just aren’t great for me in boss fights.

Part of it is that I’m focusing on getting new perks as presented, so I can fill out the prophecies and not really focusing on building great builds - this goes for the weapon upgrades too. Some weapon upgrades are clearly subpar. I also pretty much just accept which weapon happens to be glowing purple at the time. The spear and the gun (in certain circumstances) are my favorite I think. Can’t manage to do much with the sword or bow yet. Shield and claws are okay, but I still have difficulty in boss fights that require me to be up close and personal.

It’s funny, early on the bow was by far the best for me. As time went on, I just found the damage output lacking, and prefer most weapons to it.

Except the shield.

The claws are great, but as I’ve played I’ve found that a dash spaz approach works best for me. Never. Stop. Moving. But I’ve always prioritized mobility in games. If a game has a choice between fast and light attacks, but a lot of them, or slow heavy attacks I choose fast 100% of the time. And it works better for me.