Hades (SuperGiant Games)

Moe Dusa. I get it

Also “Maid Dusa”.

Saw the credits after 40 attempts. Still compelled to keep playing - I want to level up my trinkets, finish up the prophecies, and see how high I can push my heat level before it starts to feel more like work than play.

The ending was just, like, heaps of catharsis. I loved it.

My favorite line in the whole thing: “I knew it! It’s just capes!”

Had another run at things (love this game so much) and decided to do a bit of grinding on levelling up my keepsakes. A couple more things (30% bonus w/ the butterfly and a heat 16 run) and this joins the very short list of games I’m 100% on for achievements. I’m sure I’ll come back and see how far I can push that heat meter at some point. There’s another statue to unlock, after all!

I finally beat Hades on run 30. (or maybe it was 29?)

Continue to fail to beat him on subsequent runs though, but I am consistent in clearing all the other bosses no problem. It’s rote even.

It is really the Temple of Styx tunnels where my runs go to die.
Small quarters. High damaging poison fucking everywhere. Trap surprise. It’s Hell in handbasket. And I fucking hate it. What a crapzone. A nasty road bump multi-dip of repugnant shit before you can fight the grand foozle in what is an otherwise relatively smooth avenue.

Yes, Styx is kind of ass. Poison is a dumb mechanic and they should feel bad.

Still a great game.

The main problem, it is ultra punishing to melee unless your damage is so high it won’t matter. I mean my only clear was with the fists. The most point-blank melee blasters.

I really like the Ice Wine boon for Styx, so much so that I always tried to get it. There are some other good AOE options as well that let you nuke those rooms, or you can get the life steal on uppercut for fists. My problem was that if I had the life steal weapons, it was GREAT for Styx, then Hades himself crushed me because it was much harder to apply and get health back.

I’m conviced Styx is just bullshit tax to try to strip you of your defiance via easy asshole damage before you can kill your dad (so he will kill you)

Casts with Poseidon/Zeus boon can dispatch those pesky poisonous goons easily. Generally, make sure your DPS is high in the final biome and you’ll be fine.

Another tip?

Never. Stop. Moving.

Having dash attacks, especially dash AOE or knockback can really help limit and eliminate poisoning. My best runs have often had me go through entire room chains without getting any poison. But dash attack, dash attack, dash attack.

Well deserved IMO.

I didn’t know Hugos extended to video games now. Hades certainly did steamroller the competition, and deservedly so. It also prevents the Hugos from being further cheapened… at this this year.

I mean - Animal Crossing, for chrissake. Putting that on the same level as any of it literary contemporaries is ridiculous.

Thank you to all the contributors to this thread ! I learned a lot and was able to finally clobber Dad. Took over 50 runs and I’m gonna be honest, god mode was involved but at least I was able to appreciate the game and mechanics with your help.

If you just got your first win, there’s lots more to do!

I recently started playing this again. I really wish God Mode weren’t a simple toggle and that I could gradually scale it back.

I bought this a while back and started playing it about a week ago. It was fine but I wasn’t really enjoying myself. My mistake was trying to control the game using a mouse and keyboard. I switched over to a gamepad and it’s a completely different game now. I actually feel like I’m in control of my character and not just frantically clicking mouse buttons. There is still an element of button-mashing but I think that’s mainly from me panicking as I make my way through the early parts of this cool, cool game.

I have this slightly tingly feeling, like I’m about to jump into something that might not let me go for quite a while.

I played all the way to heat 16 with mouse and keyboard never bothered me none. If you can play diablo you can play hades!

I definitely found Diablo’s point and click movement much easier to management compared to Hades’ WASD scheme. A controller solves that for me!

Well, it took me 22 runs but I finally got to Hades and beat him on my first try! I suspect that a lot of it had to do with luck. Athena’s Aid upgraded to lvl 3 also helped quite a lot. I actually managed to get past Elysium with all of my death defiances intact. Those, plus a fully upgraded Broken Tooth from Scully (Skelly? I forget) meant I got to the final boss with 4 “do overs”. The Calls are incredibly useful and I didn’t know to use them until run 20ish or so. What a difference they can make!

So now, I presume, the real game begins? Looking forward to unlocking more stuff with keys and Titan Bloods and whatnot! So glad I decided to try this game with a controller rather than giving up after frustrations using a M&K.

Congrats! I think that 20-ish run mark is very common for folks through a mixture of learned knowledge, unlocked abilities, and of course a bit of luck, hah. Learning to beat Hades without leaning heavily on Athena’s dash was at least as hard as learning how to get to him and beat him at all.