Halcyon 6 Launched! Blow Up Aliens as Adorkable Chibi-Star Fleet-alikes

Okay, I don’t know what a Chibi is, but even though I’ve seen this topic bouncing around for a couple years, for some reason I never actually paid attention to it. What a mistake that was.

Turns out this game is fantastic, and so much more fleshed out than I expected going in.

I’m fresh off a Space Tyrant kick, but that game just never really clicked for me. I found it sorta grindy and monotonous, which is amazing considering how little time it takes to complete a sector. Plus the combat didn’t do it for me.

Halcyon 6, on the other hand, pretty much nails all my problem areas in Space Tyrant. I find the combat more engaging, the upgrade system more interesting, and exploration more rewarding (if fun is the reward). My only real issue with the game is the X-COM style base management screen, because it takes too much effort to pan around trying to figure out where I put some upgrade or other.

I haven’t actually finished a whole campaign yet, and I’m probably going to restart tomorrow, but I’m hoping the game offers pretty good replayability.

Yea, this was a huge value for $4-5 during the Steam sale.