Half-Life Creator: PS3 is a "total disaster"

I don’t know what standing the test of time means specifically, or how it could be proven, but 360 did have CoD2 and PGR3. but no, lets mention PDZ instead because…

maybe it’s not sony animosity, it’s the fact that its a year later and $100 more.

I don’t recall sony standing at E3 2005 and saying “We’re going to launch a year after microsoft, with a lineup of games that compares well to games that came out the year before, but not to the the games that are out at the time”

It’s probably just the pent up sony hate, no way the entirely underwhelming/nonexistent lineup of games has affected its perception in the public. smashes Sony CRT

seconded. That’s the weakest of the weak assumptions.

The PS2 had great momentum from the PS1 and not really a lot of competition, especially marketing wise until the Xbox launched. It also had really damn good BC, so keeping your PS1 games to play on the PS2 was pretty well a no brainer. The PS3 lost some momentum because of the later launch date, higher price and the flawed BC. Not to mention the fact that MS has a monster marketing warchest, hell look what they did with the Halo 2 launch.

I don’t think the Sony and PS3 zeitgeists can be separated, at least when it comes to people’s perceptions of the PS3. Show us the infamous Killzone “demo” and swear up and down its what we should expect when the PS3 launches, and then launch with what they actually launched with, and well, there goes your credibility. Is the PS3 a horrible machine? No. Is it about on-par with the 360? Yes. So what’s the problem? Sony promised a LOT more and under-delivered. The delta between expectation and reality is more important to consumer perception than the actual value of a thing, so Sony’s blown it big time.

The only thing that is a surprise is Sony managed to get away with playing that game (which goes back to the PS2 launch) far longer than they should have. And before anyone else mentions it, yes, all companies bullshit a bit about the power of their consoles and/or game engines pre-release, but I don’t think anyone else does it to the ridiculously absurd level of Sony.

Yeah but that warchest doesn’t seem to come out very often. As much as it helped Gears of War, Viva Pinata has languished on the vine and I’m not sure that anouncements of a Kameo or PDZ sequel are exactly going to send tremors through the industry.

Attempt to see things from his POV and understand what he’s saying. We’re consumers, so we’re more concerned with the price and games availability. But he’s talking about it from a developer’s standpoint, and hes saying things that lots of other people agree with him on.

To Wit:
The PS3’s architecture is apparently even more poorly designed than the PS2’s with several different non symmetrical CPU’s (multi-core). John Carmack described it as a throwback to the Sega Saturn (ouch). The developer tools have been described as sub-par by more than one developer - in direct comparison to the praise given to the 360’s developer tools even by people who are normally very critical of Microsoft.

Hit the nail on the head.

Whether it’s tacking on anything or not is irrelevant – bundling Wii Sports with the system lets Nintendo justify a $250 price tag, which, quite frankly, is overpriced for what you’re getting.

Not like anyone is willing to admit that, considering Nintendo PR vomits candycanes and craps miracles.

They sell it for about the same price in japan without Wii sports…

Also, in the same interview Gabe had some very harsh things to say about windows vista, telling people that if they aren’t using their pc for gaming, they would be better of with a mac.

Yeah, the Wii is way overpriced, thus explaining why they are so easy to find at retail. I guess nobody wants to buy them at such a ridiculous price.

Thing is, only hardcore gamers even care about these kinds of promises, and they tend to buy all the systems anyway. How many hardcore console gamers didn’t eventually have a PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube?

Why so bitter? Perhaps a nice game of Wii Bowling would help take the edge off…

I wouldn’t call it “ridiculous.” I’d definitely say you’re overpaying for the meager hardware you’re getting, though.

Sorry, I was tired of that poorly veiled tech demo drivel after a single round on a kiosk in Gamestop.

I did a panel with Gabe once. He’s one of those guys where you feel like your brain is operating version 1.0 of something, and he’s got the beta of v3.

Are you engaged in some crazy-ass form of reverse psychology? Because I think you’re about to turn me into a Nintendo Fanboy…

After working with version 0.9 of the Source engine, I wanted to go after their programmers with the crowbar.

Gabe seems like a swell guy and his company certainly produces some great games. I’m not sure why people like Tom have to just come out and call him fat though, that seems rude.

After playing the game based on that engine, I wanted to help.

Still, I really enjoyed HL2: Episode One. I look forward to playing Episode Two when it comes out a year or so from now.

Anyway, I share his enthusiasm for Nintendo’s success, even if he has ulterior motives for trashing Sony.

Remember Gabe and a large chunk of valve came from MS. That being said, MS has learned a lot from early versions of DX and from countless developer usability studies, (Quite literally, I am Elvis, right down to the neighborhood where I live) making them very endearing to technical dev and management. The 360 is their trojan horse. With the live download service and coming IPTV, it’s obvious that the idea is to make entertainment come from a box you can improve through software rather than just a dumb terminal feeding you content chosen by hollywood.

Office was developed to kill middle management. This is developed to kill the middle of the entertainment sector.

Games, TV, Movies, all on demand as opposed to what gets advertised enough to haul your ass to a theater.

bundling Wii Sports with the system lets Nintendo justify a $250 price tag, which, quite frankly, is overpriced for what you’re getting.

Huh? It’s around half the price of an Xbox 360 here and a third of the price of a PS3 when and if it ever launches. The big selling point of the Wii, other than its controls, over the PS2, let alone the PS3/X-box is it’s price, bundled sports game or not.