Halloween Ends (2022) - But will it really?

I actually kind of liked this one up until the last 20 minutes, when it couldn’t commit to being weird and just got dumb again. The intro scene was very funny though.

C’mon, surely you can appreciate the comedic appeal of a terrible film!

I can, of course, but with rare exceptions bad slasher movies are just boring to me. And if I’m going to watch a bad horror movie, I’m going to jump to the worst exemplars, not follow a franchise down the drain.

I would care a lot less if this weren’t David Gordon Green and Danny McBride.

I’m not even angry. I’m just baffled.

It could have been worse. It could have been the Scream reboot.

Or even Halloween Kills.

I wouldn’t say Kills was worse than Ends, personally. They’re both very different sorts of bad.

Kills, at least, presents a coherent narrative that flows from the previous movie and likewise characterizations that also follow suit. It makes lots of bad decisions as it plods towards the awful mob scene, never fully embracing whatever point it was maybe trying to make about mob justice or whatever. That and however much money it takes to get a cup of coffee will get you a cup of coffee. But, it does have that going for it.

Ends, which is a better watch in an ironic sense (but that’s something, I suppose), barely feels like it’s connected to the other two movies. The uneven tone, the characters who feel like they’re a continuation only because of name/actor being the same. Nothing about this movie feels like it belongs on the end of a trilogy. It occasionally pretends to be a different sort of movie for no discernable reason. It also halfasses what may or may not be an intended point. But it does so in a more appalling way I find. Baffling is probably the best way to describe it.

The real driver of both of these things, I guess, is that people (Green, producers, execs, etc) thought there were three new Halloween movies to make but they really only managed to come up with about 1.3 movies worth of ideas (and only fully committed to anything in the first movie).

Yeah, it was a worse film, but much, much more enjoyable to watch. I went with three friends who also all hated Kills, and since we were the only ones in the auditorium, we had a blast laughing and joking about the silliness.

Totally this. Take the 2018 movie, then slap the last 20 minutes of this movie onto it (basically everything after Michael gets his mask back) and the narrative makes a whole lot more sense. Everything else is weird filler that goes nowhere.

I can believe it.

The more I think about it, the more the scene where our plucky little killer to be wrestling with Mike Meyers is up there with the ending of Hell House LLC 2 at the top of the “completely improbable scenes I wouldn’t believe existed if I hadn’t scene them” list.

It’s amazing. And so, so terrible.

What we all really wanted to see was, after Corey and Michael kill the doctor and nurse and it cuts to Corey riding his motorcycle, for it to be Michael riding on the back of it instead of Allyson.

I also want to see someone edit this over the scene of Michael and Corey locking eyes:

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Someone in the group sent this in the group text after:

I’m pretty on board with this take, and the comparison to Christine is one I hadn’t thought about. I just thought the last 15 minutes was a cop out.

Man, I would cherish a scene in Halloween Ends as good as a fiery Plymouth Fury slowly chasing a kid down the road.

Joshua Encinias: Halloween Ends could be anything you wanted, and you were like, “let’s just make it sexy.”

David Gordon Green: We had to decide how we wanted to wrap up these characters. How do we want to make it not just a nice, neat bow on a franchise? Honestly, we never once considered making a Laurie and Michael movie [Laughs.] The concept that it should be a final showdown-type brawl never even crossed our minds. I wanted to see where it would go. I wanted one to win, one to die. But we were always more ambitious with that. So how did we want to go out? By doing what no one except us would do: make a love story. It’s our version of going out with a bang and opening our hearts to this community and these characters.

Regarding @anonymgeist’s favorite part:

Joshua Encinias: One of the things that made me realize this was a Halloween movie about love is the shot of Allyson and Corey on his bike. Is that a visual reference to Wong Kar-wai’s Fallen Angels ?

David Gordon Green: That’s a good catch because I actually screened that with my cinematographer Michael Simmonds. We’re also referencing the scene in My Bodyguard when they get the motorcycle working again. It’s amazing, but it’s lost in the archives of ‘80s teen dramas. It’s an early Matt Dillon movie that’s a blend of youthful insecurity, angst and joy. I don’t know many movies that are successful in that, in an efficient way. The motorcycle ride with Allyson and Corey has the coolness of Wong Kar-wai and the celebratory moment of My Bodyguard .

They’re not even jocks they’re band kids that’s how dumb this movie is

Haha I just watched Halloween Ends. What the fuck.