Halo 3 set for 2007 release?

Fox and Universal have finalized the contract with Microsoft to bring create the HALO movie with all three agreeing on a 2007 release…

…Microsoft is already planning to have the third installment in the HALO videogame franchise ready to release at the same time as the movie to optimize marketing potential.

I’m really hoping this isn’t the case. I imagine the Halo movie would be a summer release pushing the release of the game back by about a year.

The linked article also indicates that MS and Bungie have lost final approval on creative decisions. “Flavour of the Month” as the Master Chief?

Didn’t they say they planned on having Halo 3 ready to ship in time for the PS3 launch?

The Chief should just be an assortment of stunt doubles with the same voice as the game.

That’ll never happen though.

This is bad news for the 'Box. Besides the Mistwalker RPG I can’t think of any must-haves for myself personally now, not for a long while.

Would this really surprise anyone? Halo 3 is on a new platform and they’re supposed to have it done two years after Halo 2?

Only Bill Gates has said that, and he doesn’t exactly make those kinds of decisions. He’s not as involved with Xbox as many other things (thank god, he doesn’t “get” the games industry). More involved Xbox execs like Peter Moore have gone on record after that to clear it up, saying that the most important thing is that Halo 3 be the awesome game everyone expects it to be, and that they wouldn’t rush a launch to coincide with PS3 and get in the way of that.

As for the 2007 release - possible, but I’m not sure I trust Variety (the original source) to be “on” about video game release news. I could see Halo 3 coming next Christmas, especially if that’s when the PS3 launches in the US.

The movie news is legit, of course. There’s a big thing on bungie.org about it. With no mention about a game release or anything.

It’s not unheard of. [insert jab at the lack of originality in the industry.] Viewtiful Joes 1 and 2, the Prince of Persia’s, Shin Megami Tensei’s, FFX 1 and 2, Donkey Kongas… and that’s just from a quick look at my own collection.

I saw the source quote that Variety referenced on one of the sites that reported this. The basic gist was that movie contract stated that the studio and MS would work together to time the film and game releases for most effective cross marketing purposes or somesuch. While that could mean waiting until summer for Halo 3 release it could also mean a Halo 3 Holiday 2006 release that features an exclusive teaser for the upcoming film. Or if Halo 3 gets significantly delayed to Holidays 2007 then it could of course be timed with the DVD release of the film.

The key part of what Mike said was new platform. Pretty much everything you are referencing are sequels with minimal dev time due to reusing the same engine and other elements which shouldn’t apply to Halo 3.

Also I’d like to point out that I wasn’t asking if anyone could just pump out a game in two years. Clearly EA has answered that one. I’m talking about Bugie specifically. Halo 2 took three years on a platform they’d already developed for and a lot of people felt that game was rushed a bit.

[quote=“Kevin_Grey”]

The key part of what Mike said was new platform. Pretty much everything you are referencing are sequels with minimal dev time due to reusing the same engine and other elements which shouldn’t apply to Halo 3.[/quote]

Well then, how about PGR3? That’s a new platform and it’ll be done 2 years after the last one.