Halo 4 is half the game it should be

God, I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows about Damnation Alley. Thanks for reminding me, Tom!

Awesome and truthful review, you said everything I wanted to say but better.

Im actually going to say it was better than reach. Reach and odst were fails. You were limited in capabilities compared to halo 3. Also, the overall atmosphere throughout practically all of odst and the end of reach was pretty drab. If I had never played halo 3, I would have thought halo 4 was a sequel to reach, because you are practically as limited in halo 4 as you were in reach. Not to mention all the skins for the halo 3 stuff changed, but the halo reach skins remained. I do agree with you though, I was expecting great things for halo 4, and what I got was nowhere near halo 3's status.

the guy makes a lot of good points, and i find myself agreeing with him. and for all who people out there obsessing over the score, maybe you dont realize this yet but numbers are meaningless. you cant slap a number on a game and say thats how good it is. just read his words (if you can)

One star is a little harsh, but pretty much everything that he actually said about the game is legit.

Got the link here via GiantBomb. Never heard of this guy or the website. Feel kinda dirty being here, it's rather jank.

I actually agree with everything Tom says in his review but I don't hate the game, while I found halo 4 did nothing new it was still a fun game and by extension a fun halo game. I didn't need it to do anything that different. The best part about the game is the storyline and Tom makes it more then clear that he hated the story or was at least disinterested in it (which can be worse). So about all I can say is that I respect his thoughts but disagree with them :P. I was more then ready to come in here and tout Tom as the Armond white of videogames but this review (unlike Armond white) practically lists of every single problem he has with the game and why he disliked it. People don't have to love a game and critics shouldn't have to "play nice" with the score on the bottom simply because of score aggregates. If anything, the fact that a single bad review can affect a bunch of math this much is just testament to how broken that whole system is.

Hey Tom. I have always enjoyed your reviews since you did Computer Games Strategy Plus. This review reflects what you get out of this game (as you stated). At least Bungie had the ability to add something, not that they are gone it goes the way of many overdeveloped IP. Keep up the reviews and I look forward to reading the next one.

Is this the Armond White of video games?

TOM CHICK WHAT A FUCKING LOSER 1/5 GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU JOKE! HALO 4 IS ATLEAST A SOILD 8 WTF IS A 2/10? FUCK OFF I HOPE THIS SITE GETS HACKED AND THE NON CRITIC BULLSHIT REVIEW AS POSTED BY TOM DICK REMOVED FROM META. OBVIOUSLY FOR PAGE VIEWS... SO FUCK OFF DUMBFUCK ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE YOUR FUCKED... OH TROLLS, FAN BOYS AND PEOPLE DEFENDING TOM DICK OFF THIS SITE SITE U CAN SUCK A FAT DICK TOO THIS SITE HAS ZERO CRED ANYWAY... QUARTER TO THREE WTF IS THAT? SOUNDS DUMB AS FUCK LIKE TOM DICK! TRY AND TROLL THIS COMMENT ITS FAKE ANYWAY JUST WANT TO TELL THE WORLD OF THIS FUCKING RETARD NAMED TOM DICK... 2/10 SMDH

People have realised Metacritic is stupid. Have you seen MW3 page? Not a fan of it myself but check the user reviews . . . overwhelmingly negative user reviews, tells me that people don't go on Metacritic to review games they go on their to troll games they don't like. It's ridiculous.

This Tom Chick guy is just a twat, check his previous game reviews (via metacritic), they're consensus with the general opinion of games is so often painfully far away.

no, what he has said has been a lie after another lie. The big ass Mammoth does fire it's gun, THREE TIMES! AIs always had life spans and if this guy did his research he would know that. And a whole lot of different things happen in Halo 4 that never happened in other games. The story mode has always slow and sentimental: that's what makes HALO good! This guy is nothing but either two things: a guy that is so stupid he wants a remake of the same game, (AKA Halo roots) or he is so stupid and doesn't know what he's talking about because he was misinformed by some CoD fanboys or Halo haters. Either way he's stupid

I just played halo 4 you sir are a troll and should be dropped from metacritic Halo 4 has the best story of any halo made to date. The love story between MC and Cortana can make a tear come to your eyes. This site must really need hits because this is the first time i've heard of it.

No its not i doubt he even played the damn game. The only problem i saw with the game was you have to open too many doors and drop cortana too much to help you do something.

Roger doesnt give movies stupid reviews because he wants attention.

This is poorly written. You need more back up for you opinions and not just I liked this because it is best. Your opinion is fine just think its a sloppy article.

I think this critic is a little to harsh on Halo 4. First of all, there are 8 missions on Halo 4, not 5. Second, the graphics are very detailed, making the whole gaming experience much more interesting. Third of all, the gameplay is very much diffrent, there are diffrent enemies, weopons and vehicles, IF YOU ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME. In one of the levels you are able to even drive a pelican and a mantis (if you know what that is). Of course all the multiplayer maps are diffrent, and there are even diffrent power ups. Infact what makes halo 4 exceptional is that in the previous halo's except halo 1 and maybe 2, the story was confusing and hard to follow. They made halo 4 understandable and gave me that surreal feeling that i felt from the first halo. Infact to tell you the truth, the thing that got me hooked to halo is the angelic music, its very much designed to fit halo. The fact that you are saying there is nothing new in halo 4 is confusing in the fact that you mentioned tons of new things in your own review. Some things shoudnt even be changed. For example, for some reason, halo 1, and halo 3 (not sure about halo 2 or odst) as a escape level, and they are always so fun. Halo 4 added one with a ghost which gave me a sense of nostolgia (i think i spelled that wrong) and epic fun. I dont know why your review was so harsh (maybe you were payed to make it sound bad) but i strongly disagree with you. Excapt halo 1 was awsome.

I bet the critic pressed, dislike 44 times on this comment

Here's where this review loses all credibility:
*Everything* he mentions in this review is true, as I can attest to after playing it. Particularly bad, in my opinion, are the removal of firefight and campaign scoring. However, there is no attempt whatsoever to find any redeeming qualities, which I can also assure you there are. He comes across as being out to get this game from the outset, probably even before playing it, and so I can't trust his opinion. It seems like he sat down to write a list of everything that is wrong with this game completely ignoring whatever the good things were.

Look, Halo 4 is better than the vast majority of currently-released video games. Is in in line with previous Halo releases? Yes. Does it further the narrative? Yes, it does. Is Halo one of the hottest digital properties? Yes, it is. The game is fantastic. It retains that "sense of wonder" from the original Halo Combat Evolved release and features tight, balanced gameplay, a wealth of extended-value content, and AAA material. For you to issue a failing grade means you flunked the entire experience. Poor form, in my opinion.