Halo 4 - Master Chief After Bungie

The May issue of Game Informer has Halo 4 as the cover story.

This 14-page cover story is stuffed full of details on the new game, including information on where the story is going, hands-on impressions of multiplayer, and intel on the surprising new approach governing every aspect of Halo’s multiplayer experience.

I wonder if it’s possible to completely avoid all these details somehow? Probably not. But that could be potentially very cool: Master Chief wakes up from cryogenic sleep in deep space, and encounters… something. Being a player and having absolutely zero idea what’s going to happen in that moment. For movies, it’s a little easier avoiding that kind of news, but for games, it’s a lot harder.

Cortana evolved.

Sorry for going all Star Trek V but, why does a hologram need boobs?

At the moment I just can’t get excited about a new Halo game though I will probably change my mind. Especially if a bunch of you jokers on my friends list are playing it. But I’m not caught up in the fiction and not sure how many iterations of this brand of FPS I really want. I did enjoy Reach though.

Why wouldn’t you want boobs on your holograms?

You know what, if in the future that Halo shows us they just put boobs on everything, I would respect that. Spaceships and rifles with boobs, hell yeah, why not?

A world without holo-boobs is a world I don’t want to live in.

If a woman doesn’t look like a stripper, she has no place in a video game. At least that’s what my decades of game playing have taught me.

So stupid…

What have the framerates been on Halo games and will Halo4 be 60fps?

Boobs? I don’t see boobs, I see data ports.

New info:

Firefight is absent and it is stated that there are no plans for it to return.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooourns!

No, really. I loved Firefight.

New Co-Op mode called Spartan Ops for up to four players in online Campaign-esque missions.

Spartan OPs introduces new movies sequences and missions on a weekly basis which tells the story of the UNSC Infinity’s mission and battles the new Spartan IV’s face.

Spartan Op missions are objective based and feature new content, events and locations each week. Spartan Ops missions also reward Spartan Points and feature selectable difficulty levels like Campaign.

Spartan Ops missions are not DLC, they are included in the overall Halo 4 package but it is unclear if the content is available on the disc or must be downloaded separately.

Oh, wait. This might actually be more awesome.

Microsoft should follow Sony’s Killzone 3 lead and sell the ODST/Reach MP and Firefight modes as separate, discounted downloads through Live. They could then integrate some hooks into H4 so you can go between those modes and this new Spartan Ops without exiting the game.

Video about new music composers. Worth watching just for the music in the background of the video. I love the new sounds. I’ve listened to the video twice now, just to hear the music. Very cool.

Yes, yes, I know I said just upthread that I wish I could go into Halo 4 completely blank, not knowing anything about it, but this doesn’t really go into what Halo 4 is about at all, just the music, so I’m still checking things like this out.

Nice find, thanks for sharing it Rock

Bumping the thread, even though this news was inevitable and predictable:
[B]Conan O’Brien joins Team Halo[/B]

Forward Unto Dawn!

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn will play exclusively on Machinima and Microsoft’s Halo Waypoint in the run up to the 6th November launch of the 343 Industries-developed sci-fi shooter.

It’s the largest investment Microsoft has made into live action to date, according to Variety. Larger, even, than the Neill Blomkamp shorts that almost spawned the Halo movie seven years ago.

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn plays out over five weekly instalments [sic], each around 15 minutes long, and tells the story of how Master Chief inspired a young UNSC cadet who will eventually become a leader aboard the UNSC Infinity Spacecraft.

I’ve always really liked the live-action stuff that has come from Halo ads.

Limited Edition announced. Comes with limited edition episodic multiplayer, the War Games map pack, and vouchers for 3 future DLC packs. $99.99

Yikes! A ton of info has come out at E3 about this, but I guess Qt3 isn’t the best place for fans of this? Oh well. This gamelooks gorgeous and the details sound like 343 has really got some interesting ideas.

The “Spartan Ops” co-op implementation appears to be a lot more extensive than ever.

Rather, Halo 4 has been structured like a TV series. For the first few months following release, a “Season One” of daily downloadable co-op missions will be released. Every week five co-op missions will be launched, sequentially continuing the story of the main game, allowing up to four player to join together to, in Halo marketing speak terms, continue the fight.

Players who presume this is a pure moneymaking exercise are mistaken. Season One will be free to everyone who buys the game, a gigantic amount of content to augment the on-disc experience. As each discrete mission can take upwards of 20 minutes to play through – longer if you’re doing so alone with AI back up – it’s a wide and generous proposition.

“A single season will run for months, not weeks,” says O’Connor. “It’s a significant amount of content: both gameplay and story-wise. And the story will matter. Characters you know and love will be effected in dramatic ways, the story driving the universe forward in a meaningful way.”

I’m avoiding all info about the game so I go into it with no knowledge. Glad to read your positive impressions though Telefrog.

I’m still planning on getting Halo: CE Anniversary Edition. I still think the original Halo is best, Halo 2 was crap (campaign), Halo 3 was better but nowhere near as good as the original, Halo 3: ODST was it’s own different beast that I liked, and Halo: Reach’s campaign was actually kind of close to being as good as the original Halo’s. I always grit my teeth when Tom says on the Qt3 podcast that each Halo game eclipses the last in that you don’t need to play the old Halos, only the latest one. Ugh. Sometimes I think he does it just to troll people like me, so I don’t usually rise to the bait (except for this post). But then, he also gave a great review to Halo: Anniversary edition, saying how surprised he was that so many of the gameplay elements in the original still hold up. So maybe he’s coming around from his misconceptions that each Halo was better than the last.

I love Halo and am really looking forward to the new game, but this episodic “Seasons” DLC sounds like a build-up to a subscription-based model to me, much like Call of Duty Elite. Not sure I want to pay $60 for the game then another $60 for a year’s worth of 20-minute DLC packs and multiplayer maps. I guess we’ll see how good the free “season” is first, provided they stick to the plan to keep it free.

That said, all the trailers, visuals, audio and everything I’ve seen so far tell me that 343 is doing one hell of a job filling Bungie’s armored boots.

I’ve got some big time Halo fatigue but I expect to get over that about a week before they release Halo 4.