Halo 5: Guardians - 343 tries to recover from Halo 4

Well, the difference is that in Halo 5’s version of it, going to ADS view doesn’t impede movement. But yeah, it’s ADS.

Their whole point in calling it smart-scope in that article wasn’t to give it a different name, their point was that Halo weapons have always had a scope mode from the pistol and sniper rifle in the first game onwards. And you always descope automatically when you get shot. Their point was that they’re just adding the scope to all the weapons now, and adding the animations. And you still get descoped when you get shot. It doesn’t sound all that different to me, but I guess we’ll see when the beta launches next month.

The lore reason doesn’t matter to me. If it’s for every weapon in the game, then so be it. Call it smart scope, ADS, zoom view, or whatever. The point is that it’s primarily the same thing. Your view zooms in slightly, the gun model snaps into the middle of the screen, and the spread of bullets is reduced.

The differentiator here is that movement supposedly doesn’t slow down. That makes it Halo.

Add all the movement and super-suit stuff though and it basically becomes Crysis 2 multiplayer.

Halo 5 vidoc from 343: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k96NK5moXyg

Reportedly scope mode does not change accuracy either. I don’t know, in previous titles, those weapons that had the scope mode (ie the pistol) were differentiated in that regard - it was the reason to use them. Giving it to every weapon and not changing movement or accuracy just seems pointless, like trying to fix something that is just not broken. Go to ‘innovate’ though, I guess.

Smart scope does change accuracy. It reduces the spread on rounds.

Halo of Duty then, I guess.

Not in H5, unless you think 343 employees are lying about it.

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/531541844178792448

No penalty to hip fire would imply no bonus to smart scope

That’s right. There’s no penalty for hip firing. There is an advantage to smart scope.

You want to know whether to fire the Assault Rifle from the hip or use Smart Scope. 343 tells me Smart Scope does not affect damage output. That is, the damage of each bullet is the same. But it affects the spread of the bullets. So, if you’re at a medium distance and you want to concentrate your fire, scoping with the Assault Rifle makes sense. But if you’re up close, fire from the hip for a wider spread.

The tradeoff is the more limited view.

That sounds just like classic ADS minus only the movespeed penalty.

Right. That’s what I said. It’s just ADS with no mobility hit.

Halo 5 multiplayer ranking will use a similar system to StarCraft 2’s.

Josh Menke designed that system while at Blizzard.

My experience of the multiplayer beta so far:

"Searching for games… " (Accompanied by circling icon going around and around).

Oh my God, 343. Get your act together. This is precisely the reason we stopped playing Halo 4 multiplayer when that game came out. We were spending more time searching for games than we were playing, so we all switched back to Battlefield or Call of Duty. They need a good matchmaking system, but they also need less god damned waiting.

All live services have issues these past days because of idiots and DDOS attacks - could this not be related to that?

It could be, I suppose. But there were no other issues on the friends list, or in games like Destiny, for example. Those hacking problems seem to have gone away a couple of days ago. Still, it’s better if they sort these problems now rather than after the full game comes out. That’s what a beta is for, I suppose. I was hoping for a polished experience like the Halo 3 beta that came with Crackdown. That was seamless and a great experience in its own right, not replicated by the full game in certain ways.

worked fine for me both in the preview and today. I’m still surprised how much I’m enjoying it considering I’ve never enjoyed Halo

Back in the old days when people could host their own gameservers (decentralized) there was little possibility of a DDOS (Thanks to thousands of insecure computers on home broadband from Time Warner and the likes) being able to prevent everyone from playing online game X.

So far I’d only gotten into two games. But this morning I tried and got into 3 games almost instantly. Unfortunately, all 3 games were against teams of veterans who are already really good at the game. And I was on a team of noobs (including myself) every time. The best out of the 3 matches was when my team got 10 kills, 3 of which were mine. (The enemy team got to 50 kills to win). Wow. I haven’t been destroyed this bad since Clan matches in Halo 2.

Maybe it’s too early in the morning. I’ll try again later, when someone other than noobs (like me) and super-veterans are awake and playing.

I do like the fact that the game’s default control scheme is the same as Destiny. So at least I don’t have to relearn the controls that have been programmed into me for the last 4 months, or however long Destiny has been out now.

343 ain’t Bungie thats for sure. Halo is going CoD and Destiny MP feels more Halo. at this point I’d prefer bungie just make the open world big maps in Destiny open to MP (or PVP)… then I’d feel like I’m playing classic Halo.

Theres a reason Halo 4 mp dropped fast… it wasn’t Halo, it was 343 trying to one up Call of Duty (which is the MO for all shooters right now… akin to most mmo’s aping WoW the past few years).

343 is better off copying Borderlands, make it semi mmo and one up Destiny for its lack of content. But i think its already too late.

Halo 5 live action trailer will premiere next week on the Walking Dead season finale.

Also, there’s a lame ARG going on. http://huntthetruth.tumblr.com/