Halo Infinite - What is it?

On one hand, a lot of Halo Infinite was dumb and failed to meet its potential.

On the other hand… grappling hook is pretty much the coolest thing in any halo game.

Engine lead at 343 apparently leaving as well. I suppose the responsibility for no split-screen coop ultimately falls on him?

According to this thread, he’s been at the company for 25 years. Maybe he’s just tired of it or is retiring? I doubt a 25-year veteran would get fired or managed out because a promised feature didn’t materialize:

I hope they don’t close the loophole way to play coop splitscreen.

I suspect that Infinite is doomed and that 343 (with tis new leadership) will want to start fresh with a new game

That would be pretty crazy if they switched to Unreal for the next game.

Blood Gulch is in!

I’ll have to check in with my friends to see if they want to check it out.

Ah, they are finally adding co-op campaign mode… just a year too late I guess? Are they actually expanding the campaign as well, beyond the original thing? Given that it ends in such a half-assed way, I assume they’re adding more?

Yes, the update this week had Forge mode and campaign coop. It’s all in there now.

I re-installed yesterday. I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet.

Oh man, I totally forgot about Blood Gulch. I haven’t played Infinite since I beat the campaign, maybe I should see what’s been updated.

Am I misreading Eurogamer, or misunderstanding something?

Halo Infinite’s Winter Update is something of a stopgap until the game’s delayed Season 3 arrives next year. It contains the long-awaited campaign co-op option, Forge, a free battle pass with 30 tiers, plus a selection of new multiplayer maps, rotating playlists, tweaks to XP and more.

Oh wait, I guess it’s not clear what “It” is referring to, the Winter Update (live now) or Season 3 (next year).

So I thought that meant co-op still wasn’t live, but if it’s there now maybe it’s finally time I check it out.

I recognize that at a human level this sucks for people that probably worked really hard, or enjoyed their jobs, or whatever.

But no part of me is thinking “Oh no, the Halo Infinite team, I was really looking forward to what they did next!”

Halo Infinite has been a comedy of errors forever, and I do not have be energy or feel much of an obligation to sift through the debris and decide what promising talent was crushed by circumstances beyond their control that I should rally behind, and what the problems were that needed to be weeded out.

I wish no one involved the anxiety of unemployment, but I shed no tears for the studio.

As long as Starfield lives!

I’ll shed some tears. Their performance was only bad if you measure it against what they could have done. They originally planned many biomes, but only delivered one. They weren’t able to deliver same screen coop.

But the actual gameplay in Infinite was excellent with the addition of the grappling hook and the world they built was really fun to explore using the grappling hook.

Of course, all that is with the caveat that I haven’t actually played past the 5 hour mark or so. I need to get back to the game, which I will. I really enjoyed my time with it. I’ll drink a ginger ale for the lost Halo Infinite team when I do.

My perspective on Halo Infinite is that it’s a very fun shooter that plays extremely well, and was hampered by terrible leadership. So yeah, I do feel awful for the people let go from 343, but they also deserved better, and hopefully they’re able to go on making great games at a studio that’s led a whole lot better.

Rumor is that 343 has been removed from development of Halo games. They’ll oversee the license, but other studios will develop the games.

In a way that bums me out, but in another way … what if ID made a Halo game? Or Machine Games?

Glad to hear that, I’ve enjoyed the stuff 343 has done with Halo and would be bummed if they were not involved. Still, it would be cool to let other studios take a crack at it too. Maybe another Halo Wars or something.

343 needs to go, put ID on it or something, just anyone else. Haven’t liked Halo since Halo 3.