Halo Infinite - What is it?

Man, they blew it.

It’s the flagship franchise and studio of a company with basically unmatched resources, and they’ve shipped three disappointing products in a row.

How the hell heads haven’t rolled is beyond me.

Heads finally starting to fall

Wait, ‘axios’? Did she typo ‘adios’?

Goddamn. I’m surprised it took this long for Ross to get ousted.

15 years? So under her I guess we got:
Halo 3 (2007)
Halo Wars (2009)
Halo 3 ODST (2009)
Halo Reach (2010)
Halo 4 (2012)
Halo: Spartan Assault (2013)
Halo: Spartan Strike (2015)
Halo 5: Guardians (2015)
Halo Wars 2 (2017)
Halo Infinite (2021)

Not a bad run. I’d never heard of Spartan Strike until I looked that up.

That’s a bunch of good games! Plus Halo 4. I tip my hat to Bonnie and wish her luck.

343 didn’t develop Halo 3, ODST, or Reach. In 2007, Bungie went independent, but still worked with Microsoft to develop the games for the Halo franchise. The Halo IP stayed with Microsoft, and 343 Studios was established to oversee it, but in the beginning that meant overseeing Bungie’s development of those first three shooters on your list.

So not that Bonnie wasn’t there in some capacity for H3, ODST, and Reach, but it’s a little misleading to lump those games in with what followed.

I would assign the credit or blame as you feel appropriate for the Halo franchise to 343 and Ross beginning with Halo 4.

On one hand, a lot of Halo Infinite was dumb and failed to meet its potential.

On the other hand… grappling hook is pretty much the coolest thing in any halo game.

Engine lead at 343 apparently leaving as well. I suppose the responsibility for no split-screen coop ultimately falls on him?

According to this thread, he’s been at the company for 25 years. Maybe he’s just tired of it or is retiring? I doubt a 25-year veteran would get fired or managed out because a promised feature didn’t materialize:

I hope they don’t close the loophole way to play coop splitscreen.

I suspect that Infinite is doomed and that 343 (with tis new leadership) will want to start fresh with a new game

That would be pretty crazy if they switched to Unreal for the next game.

Blood Gulch is in!

I’ll have to check in with my friends to see if they want to check it out.

Ah, they are finally adding co-op campaign mode… just a year too late I guess? Are they actually expanding the campaign as well, beyond the original thing? Given that it ends in such a half-assed way, I assume they’re adding more?

Yes, the update this week had Forge mode and campaign coop. It’s all in there now.

I re-installed yesterday. I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet.

Oh man, I totally forgot about Blood Gulch. I haven’t played Infinite since I beat the campaign, maybe I should see what’s been updated.

Am I misreading Eurogamer, or misunderstanding something?

Halo Infinite’s Winter Update is something of a stopgap until the game’s delayed Season 3 arrives next year. It contains the long-awaited campaign co-op option, Forge, a free battle pass with 30 tiers, plus a selection of new multiplayer maps, rotating playlists, tweaks to XP and more.

Oh wait, I guess it’s not clear what “It” is referring to, the Winter Update (live now) or Season 3 (next year).

So I thought that meant co-op still wasn’t live, but if it’s there now maybe it’s finally time I check it out.