Halo Infinite - What is it?

EA owns Respawn, not Microsoft. That said, yes, EA needs to have Respawn make Titanfall 3 and give them a good marketing push this time.

Yeah, I think there’s a lot of this. There is something to be said for how clean and pure it is. Kind of like how Chess is not a complex game in terms of the rules, but you can achieve a ton of depth in the actual gameplay.

It might not be my bag, as I really do like the CoD style gameplay more than anything, but I think I respect it for what it is, and I’ll probably give it some more play time just to see how it goes. I’ve been playing ranked mostly so far, and I think I need to play some of the other stuff a bit more.

I just played a game on the streaming service and it went great. I haven’t played a Halo since Halo 2, but I enjoyed myself.

I was a high level Tribes player, and pretty good at shooters in my younger days… But I am really bad now (37). Everytime I try a shooter now I just get killed immediately. My reactions are slow, vision worse, and have bad aim. I would be shocked if I got 10 kills in 15 hours of Apex. I could play the Battlefield games because I could hide in numbers.

I sucked tonight at Halo… But I got kills and I helped the team. I didn’t die in seconds. I could take some guys and find cover and return fire.

It reminds me of why I liked Tribes. Battles were a ballet if jets, and splash damage and spin discs and chainguns.

This has a tiny bit of that, and I thought it was great.

Pretty much what I thought too. I did only try some small scale hold-on-to-the ball game type, but it felt like Quake 3 without the sense of wonder those games had for being trailblazers.

Fingers crossed for the campaign. From the trailers it looks like Breakpoint with worse graphics and better combat.

I can’t wait to read the post-mortem on this game, to finally find out what went wrong. They must have reset development or started over at one point or something for them to be so far behind after so many years after Halo 5.

Is it a known issue that when I look at the scoreboard after a game, it’s completely messed up? Like I’ll play a Quick Play game, but the scoreboard will look like it came out of one of the 12v12 games.

RPS is a fan of the multiplayer

Also, look, this thing is impeccable. Clean, powerful shots trace across immaculate skyboxes, straight into the shining dome of your armoured clunkperson, with a frightening thud that is satisfying even in death. There are problems, of course, but most reside outside the actual shootouts, which are frenetic, zappy confrontations longtime Halo players will savour.

Oh, one thing that I confirmed is in there, was a great feature of earlier Halo games… full game replays.

Any game you play (or really, any game anyone plays), you can go back and watch the entire game from any angle, fast forward, reverse, etc. and see exactly what happened.

How many players can be in a round? I wonder how much space it would take up to do that in a BF game.

In basic matches, it’s all 4v4.

Big Team Battle can go 8v8.

Point of order. I think BTB is 12v12

Whoops. You’re correct 12v12.

Well, at least the campaign shouldn’t get any more delays.

I don’t think crafting is really appropriate for Halo. The Master Chief is a super soldier, he doesn’t need to go and gather things to make stuff. He goes and kicks the teeth in of the enemy and takes their stuff and then moves on. That is what Spartans do. They don’t hunt animals and then use their skins to make their armour. They go and destroy alien targets, take their stuff and move on.

OH DEAR GOD THANK YOU

OK that’s kind of awesome.

So it sounds like there are ‘open levels,’ more like Metro Exodus than Far Cry say? That does sound good. Like a current gen Silent Cartographer.

I’m liking how this plays, but it’s fascinating to see the critical discourse about it. It reminds me a bit of when the Switch came out - a ton of people who skipped the Wii U were all starry eyed about the many Wii U ports to the console, because it was new to them.

Similarly, so many people are championing this as the “return of Halo MP”, as if Halo 5’s MP wasn’t extremely good (at least I thought it was), because so many people skipped that game.

Halo 5’s multiplayer was really different from prior games. This IS a return to form.