Halo Infinite - What is it?

It’s a person inside a powered suit. Master Chief’s name is actually John-117 (you may have noticed the “117” stamped on his armor). He was given biological augments as a teenager, which is why he’s much taller than the other guy. He was apparently floating in space in some sort of low power “survival” mode, for reasons we don’t currently know (that isn’t how the last game ended).

If you’re at all interested, the Halo lore is actually pretty interesting sci-fi, and has had a lot of layers added to it over the years.

I thought it might be an AI inside the suit capable of manipulating the suit without someone being in it. Sort of like Kitt in Knight Rider I guess.

You’re half right, there is an AI inside the suit, that’s Cortana. But she doesn’t control anything. And by this point in the story she isn’t in the suit anymore, and … oh hell, it’s complicated.

That small device he was holding in his right hand in the trailer, is an AI chip that can be plugged into the back of his helmet. I believe SPARTAN’s typically don’t actually have personal AIs, and “his” AI Cortana was actually originally the ship AI for the Pillar of Autumn (the ship he’s on at the beginning of the first Halo game), but not 100% sure on that.

Chief doesn’t currently have an AI, because of those complicated story things dive mentioned.

Oh, and something I forgot to mention before that people often don’t realize, is that “Master Chief” is just an abbreviated form of John-117’s naval rank: Master Chief Petty Officer, which is a naval rank in real life too. But people just call him Master Chief or Chief - I think in some cases because people don’t actually know what his real name is (stemming from the secrecy around the program that created him, and the other SPARTAN-IIs).

Tim Longo, creative director for the upcoming Halo Infinite , left developer 343 Industries this week, Kotaku has learned. It’s part of a leadership shakeup that arrives late in the development of the next Halo game, which is scheduled for release in fall 2020.

Hopefully doesn’t portend anything negative. Cyberpunk 2077’s creative director left CDPR back in January too.

I do find it curious that he got moved to a new role a few weeks before leaving, but hard to know what to make of that. Chris Lee is the one directing the game’s development, and is largely responsible for the creative direction of it too, so I can’t imagine it means there’s any internal dissatisfaction on the creative front.

I’m excited to see real gameplay next year. They confirmed the E3 2019 trailer is actually one of the game’s opening cutscenes, and there’s some rumour floating about that it actually is representative of where the game is at visually, in real-time.

If so, and the outdoor environments have the same fidelity, the next generation is going to be nice looking.

The Banished! So looks like brutes will be returning to Halo.

Hyping Halo with lore rather than well, anything else seems wrong to me. Visuals, world, combat…

Not a fan of bees, I take it.

Have a feeling H2 was Vista only on PC, so the bees probably buzzed right past me!

I think H2 was an early adopter of whatever version of DirectX was newest at that time. So releasing for Windows XP was not possible (or not permitted by their contract with MS).

Might as well put the Xbox showcase video here.

https://youtu.be/-E-1BcILTPk

Open world Halo? I’m in.

1. Ten year plan for Halo
  2. MS doesn’t think of Infinite as a live service game, but their plans to support and evolve the game over time sure sounds like a live service strategy.
  3. Ray tracing coming after launch

“Halo Infinite is the start of our platform for the future,” he said. “We want Infinite to grow over time, versus going to those numbered titles and having all that segmentation that we had before. It’s really about creating Halo Infinite as the start of the next ten years for Halo and then building that as we go with our fans and community.”

Open world FPS… it’s Far Cry: Halo. Cool.

Even has the grappling hook.

I wasn’t sold on that when Master Chief used it on the environment, though it made the prospect of exploring this open world Halo much cooler. But then he used it to grapple an Elite and melee him and I was fully sold on the grappling hook.

Nah, it’s clearly Halo: Destiny, but they got spooked by Anthem and their mom got scared and said “You’re moving in with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Aire”.

If there’s light levels and loot chase, I’m out.

So game will have Co-op including local split screen. Looking more like them trying to bring OG Halo vibe back. Probably why the game looks this way as it does evoke old school Halo.

I wonder if the recent remasters are acting against them at all. I literally played Halo 3 last week for the first time, in 60 fps ultrawide, and the earlier games likewise. Maybe if I hadn’t done that, this would look like more of a step forward.

A shot from the original teaser, why not.