Halo Infinite - What is it?

Yep, HI is the most viable the AR has ever been, honestly.

I wouldn’t assume that anything like this is the same problem that’s been around for a very long time. It’s very easy for similar symptoms to have completely different underlying causes, and for most of those issues to have been fixed for a long time, while there’s something brand new and specific to Infinite.

The important thing is that the developers have an in-house repro now, and will likely be able to fix it pretty easily.

Campaign reviews are out:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/halo-infinite-campaign-review/

Great combat, repetitive open world structure and look, forgettable characters.

Recommended by Eurogamer.

And Recommended by John Linneman at Digital Foundry:

Text version:

Video version:

I was real confused with this bit from the PC Gamer review:

“Think Ornstein and Smaugh with grenade launchers, and you’ll understand my pain.”

What? A Jewish guy with the dragon from The Hobbit? Then it hit me. Oh, “Smough” not “Smaugh.”

Wow, Digital Foundry says VRR doesn’t work in Infinite on Xbox. That’s a hell of a bug for a game that was delayed for an entire frickin’ year. Completely breaks the 120fps performance mode.

They also found a lot of lighting and shadowing problems that you really wouldn’t expect to see in a current-gen title.

I never played previous Halo games (my kids did, so I watched a bit of the earlier titles), but the campaign looks cool and I see it’s coming to GamePass so I dropped a buck to get 3 months of GP. Why not?

Reaction

Given the whole biz with Craig, that’s not all that surprising they can’t get lighting and shadowing right.

That’s just it, all the criticism from 2020 centered on that stuff. They did fix texture resolution, but it seems they couldn’t get lighting working in the open-world so they just, like, turned it off. It still looks good, but it looks like a lovely last-gen game.

The VRR bug is just egregious. Did they not QA Halo? Admittedly most people don’t have TVs supporting VRR yet so not a huge impact, but for those of us that do, it’s a real WTF moment.

You saw my Desync post up above, right? I just think 343 Studios aren’t all that great technically at making video games. They aren’t Bungie, much as Microsoft would like them to be.

Arguably, this whole keep it last gen stuff is probably playing a role in all of it too. Can’t really focus on Series X and the top platform when you have to support all those other platforms and a gazillion PC configs…

Yeah, that seems like a pretty big multiplayer bug too.

The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of environmental variety. I love the Silent Cartographer as much as the next guy but that’s gonna become stale if it’s the only exterior you see for the entire game. Even a cliché snowy throwback biome or a desert would’ve been welcome. The world presented in the original 2018 reveal trailer suggests ambitions were heavily scaled back.

It’s kinda weird that man went to space and everywhere we go looks like Earth on a ringworld.

Wonder how the Gamepass servers will hold up on Weds.

It’ll be fine, it’s backed by the power of THE CLOUD!!

Yeah, that does seem like an easy win that hasn’t been won. Maybe truly next gen Halo will be more varied.

Preload for the campaign hasn’t happened yet, right?

FWIW, they explain this in the dense Halo universe backstory. Humanity fought against the Forerunners 100,000 years ago and lost and were “demoted” to primitive status on Earth. And then the Flood came and the Forerunners built the Halo rings as weapons to cleanse the galaxy of sentient life, but the Librarian insisted the Halo rings also be built to house life (including humans) to repopulate the galaxy afterward.

Believe not. MP only so far.