Halo Infinite - What is it?

Which is why it was not released then. That’s kind of a moot point. Imagine how unfinished software was a year before it was deemed ready to release!

The fact that the wrong target release date was aimed for initially didn’t really matter once they course corrected.

But yes, it would have been much better if they had caught the desync in beta testing and addressed that. No VRR might be annoying to a minority, but that’s the definition of a non critical issue for release.

I don’t know that I would have stopped the presses due to finding the VRR bug right before go-live, but they should have caught it looooong before that-- and if it was indeed a known bug, they should have told people to expect it, and that they would be fixing it soon.

This isn’t some indie project in the Humble Bundle, it’s frickin’ Halo. I remember reading an article about the metrics Microsoft and Bungie collected testing Halo 3 back in the day. It was truly impressive stuff. And now with Halo, what, 6? That all went in the shitter.

Microsoft’s out is that multiplayer is still in “beta”.

Given that co-op isn’t in the game (which, honestly, seems like a huge miss by 343 to me), but that they are adding it in 6 months later… does that mean that there’s some kind of long term roadmap for a continually growing PvE campaign? I know someone was talking about “seasons”, and the first season goes up until may?

I honestly have no idea how this game is supposed to develop, but it seems like from a purely logical perspective, adding in co-op for a campaign that everyone will have already beaten by that point, 6 months later, seems totally pointless.

Microsoft talks about their ‘10 year plan’ for Halo Infinite, which hasn’t been detailed really but seems to be a plan to make it a bit more like something like Destiny - possibly adding on expansions and content over time rather than a whole new sequel. But, this all remains to be seen.

IMO they want Infinite to be COD Warzone, not Destiny 2. But we shall see.

I still feel like lacking co-op is a huge mistake… being able to play with friends would have made this way better.

Frankly I’m shocked they didn’t release the multiplayer in 2020. It must have been in poor shape then also.

The problem with desync is you don’t know it’s happening until you die unexpectedly. Then you’re questioning what the hell happened? You think you’re playing a game that you’re not actually playing. It could be widespread and for some people it’s just hard to tell because they chalk it up to something else.

Melee attacks in the multiplayer feel wacky like that and have since it launched. Killed from far away by a fist or suddenly you’re being executed. It sometimes makes no sense. I think it’s also affecting footsteps.

I agree. It all just seems like a mess to me. They delayed the game an entire year and yet not only is there (seemingly) a lack of polish, it’s missing a really core feature like that. For six months or more! Given an extra year of development time, how is that not ready? Did they not plan for coop from the start?!

My guess is there will be significant changes at 343 when this is out there and it fades quicker than they’d like it to. It does not seem like the type of game that is suited to live service very well.

It’s really difficult to predict which multiplayer game will catch peoples’ attention. Is Infinite going to be the next Fortnite or Warzone? Probably not, but maybe?

It would be that already. Fortnite (Battle Royale), Warzone, and Apex were essentially instant hits. Halo didn’t get that kind of buy in, and the progression systems actively pushed people away.

The multiplayer is still reportedly very popular. It’s way too early to call it a failure. We’ll know that 90 days post-release.

Yeah, the Halo multiplayer is definitely getting a lot of praise, despite its lack of a good progression system.

It’s not really MY cup of tea, but it definitely seems to appeal to a huge number of people.

The conversation in this thread is really odd considering the stellar reviews the game got yesterday, and the overwhelmingly positive reception the multiplayer got over the last few weeks (aside from battle pass progression stuff)

I think the reviews look like the gameplay is very good… but at the same time, having no co-op is a huge let down, just because playing co-op in prior halo titles was so awesome.

Sorry dude, stick a fork in it, Halo is done.

Yeah I mean it’s disappointing there’s no co-op, just the doom and gloom seems…odd