Halo Infinite - What is it?

• Thanks to your continued feedback, we are happy to confirm Credits will be earnable in Season 2’s Battle Pass. That means you will be able to earn Credits as part of your Halo Infinite progression. We’ll have more to share on this as we get closer to Season 2.

OMG, I seriously laughed for 2-3 minutes over this

I guess since Attrition is temporary I should check it out before it goes away, although I don’t usually dip into multiplayer until I’ve finished the campaign.

343’s Brian ‘ske7ch’ Jarrard posted this reply to a reddit comment that they wish 343 would admit that they aren’t where they should be for a live service game.

There are indeed a lot of challenges and constraints. We’re certainly not happy to be unable to meet player and community expectations, it’s a difficult situation that’s going to take the team time to work through. Right now the focus is on S2 and we’ll have more to share on that in the coming weeks. Meanwhile a lot of production planning, costing, planning, hiring, etc… is all happening which doesn’t really lend to detailed regular updates. We understand the community is simply out of patience and frankly, I think understandably tired of words. We just need some time for the team to get the details sorted and then we can certainly share as much as we can.

Bolding mine.

I wonder how much Microsoft’s addiction to contractors is hurting them? Go through the credits of Halo Infinite and there are a lot of contractors, and not just concentrated in one department like art. But per MS policy, contractors can’t stay for more than 18 months. A contractor gets in, figures out how to do their job in Halo Infinite well, and then is forced to leave. It’s a constant revolving door of talent and knowledge. And then you’re bringing in new talent that needs to get up to speed. And just when they figure out how to do their job well, they’re gone, too.

That might have worked in the old days of shipping one game every four years and that was it. But if you go “live service” then you need to focus on churning out content nonstop.

Meanwhile a lot of production planning, costing, planning, hiring, etc… is all happening which doesn’t really lend to detailed regular updates

Seriously, the game has been out for almost six months and they are getting into planning and costing and hiring now? What happened during that year-long delay? To use a contemporary example, this is Russia getting deep into Ukraine and then realizing that, hey, logistics are important.

Read the room better next time, 343

Not everything needs to be a battle royale, part 15

LSS isn’t really big enough to truly capture the dynamics of a BR. There is a heavily rumoured “real” BR mode coming that sounds like it might take place on the actual single-player map.

Local split-screen co-op cancelled. We will be talking for years about what a huge debacle Halo Infinite was. It’s just astounding how badly this has been managed. I think what’s still shocking is that they just haven’t ever given the impression that they’ve righted the ship.

Cyberpunk was a huge mess at launch too, but it’s been slowly, quietly, improved. People either aren’t talking about it, or they’re talking about things that have gotten better. Even if it’s in small ways, even if the game never wins back people who were turned off at launch, they didn’t just keep finding new ways to screw it up. Halo Infinite has never turned that corner.

Man, they blew it.

It’s the flagship franchise and studio of a company with basically unmatched resources, and they’ve shipped three disappointing products in a row.

How the hell heads haven’t rolled is beyond me.

Heads finally starting to fall

Wait, ‘axios’? Did she typo ‘adios’?

Goddamn. I’m surprised it took this long for Ross to get ousted.

15 years? So under her I guess we got:
Halo 3 (2007)
Halo Wars (2009)
Halo 3 ODST (2009)
Halo Reach (2010)
Halo 4 (2012)
Halo: Spartan Assault (2013)
Halo: Spartan Strike (2015)
Halo 5: Guardians (2015)
Halo Wars 2 (2017)
Halo Infinite (2021)

Not a bad run. I’d never heard of Spartan Strike until I looked that up.

That’s a bunch of good games! Plus Halo 4. I tip my hat to Bonnie and wish her luck.

343 didn’t develop Halo 3, ODST, or Reach. In 2007, Bungie went independent, but still worked with Microsoft to develop the games for the Halo franchise. The Halo IP stayed with Microsoft, and 343 Studios was established to oversee it, but in the beginning that meant overseeing Bungie’s development of those first three shooters on your list.

So not that Bonnie wasn’t there in some capacity for H3, ODST, and Reach, but it’s a little misleading to lump those games in with what followed.

I would assign the credit or blame as you feel appropriate for the Halo franchise to 343 and Ross beginning with Halo 4.

On one hand, a lot of Halo Infinite was dumb and failed to meet its potential.

On the other hand… grappling hook is pretty much the coolest thing in any halo game.