Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Hey, NOW I remember where I read it ;)

So I presume the splitscreen support is still intact then? I guess plinking around at the campaigns in splitscreen with another player is the closest I’ll get to a next-gen firefight mode for the time being. And, frankly, I’m interested enough in splitscreening the Library with local friends that I might pick this up as a last-ditch effort to keep my Xbox One from being totally superfluous*.

-Tom
  • Sunset Overdrive isn’t exactly doing it for me so far…

One of the bullet point Microsoft is pushing is the Halo: Nightfall series produced by Ridley Scott that comes with this game. Halo fans will love it, right?

Outlook: Not good.

This show is so bad I’m buying a PS4.

Haha, from that Verge link:

What adorable naivete. I assume he’s just exaggerating to get across his point that he wanted to like it and still didn’t, because there is no point in the history of Halo Nightfall where any aspect of it deserved more than cautious skepticism.

Doh, that was the best part of MP Halo.

I don’t get the love for firefight mode. At least not in ODST. Me and my friends played it for a while. It was kind of like being in a single player game that happened to have more than one player staying in the same area. There was no real reason for teamwork. Contrast that with Horde mode in Gears of War, where you were constantly having to help each other out.

“I’m headed out for ammo, cover me”
“Bottom left corner. A Boomer!”
“I’m going to plant a shield at the bottom of the steps again. Cover me”
“Oh shit, I got exposed I’m down near the shields, need a revive”

You were constantly forced to keep communicating and working together by the game design. In Firefight, it wasn’t really part of the design in the same way.

I never did try fire fight in Halo Reach as a result. Maybe they changed things?

I thought the firefight mode in Reach was top notch. Very customizable, tons of enemy variety, and pretty decent maps. It’s actually my favorite multiplayer mode in Halo.

I still fire it up every now and again.

Reach was top of the heap for me, my favorite Halo. Great multiplayer and great campaign too. I’ll no doubt pick up the Master Chief Collection because I’ll have friends that will want to play together, but I would pick up a redone Reach just because I love it.

I’m with Rock8man, firefight in Halo was piss poor compared to horde mode in Gears.

Polygon likes it rather quite a lot. Willpower fading considering how much we get for the price of one game…

Wendelius

Meanwhile…

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Police-surround-home-of-video-game-executive-after-high-tech-hoax-281860141.html?tab=video&c=y

plus 1

For those interested, there is a channel called Halo on Twitch currently streaming a Halo invitational competition. It’s pretty frantic.

Wendelius

Thanks for the link. Watching this is very interesting. I remember in the later days of Halo 2 multiplayer how players never held onto the flag anymore, always grabbing and throwing, grabbing and throwing. They managed to do some weird things with the physics. And in this tournament, that is in full effect. I still haven’t seen anyone grab the flag for a single full second. It’s always grab and throw.

One day away from CTF Blood Gulch with Warthogs and your flag has to be at home to score. That’s how we used to play it on a LAN. I wonder how different it will play online? It’s been so many years. I wonder if that configuration will even be on their playlist? I remember when Halo for the PC came out, everyone always played with way too many people on the map, with the kitchen sink in vehicles thrown into that map. The tanks, the banshees, the ghosts. It was pure chaos and not fun at all. And then Halo 2 came out, and the new version of the map (coagulation) was just craptacular, also stuffed to the gills with vehicles by default in the online playlists.

I think multiplayer will be overwhelming for a noob like me. But I’m looking forward to playing through the campaigns with my sons.

Halo 2 was their first fps, I believe. And I think they remember playing it together fondly. We’ll see how it holds up.

I’ve never completed a single Halo game (only played 1 and 2), but I’m looking forward to trying to change that this time around.

And yes, I’ll probably go get for at a lot in mp too. :)

Can’t wait for tomorrow!

Wendelius

I will be playing a ton of this over the next few weeks.

Add ARS Zerot and send me game invites!

So I had pre-ordered this digitally a long time ago, and downloaded it, including the update (the game install size was around 60 GB). But now after midnight, when I started the game, it said it had to download a 15 GB update. WTF?

You can still play single player while the multiplayer downloads in that 15GB update, I believe Brakara.

I’m jealous. You get to play it already? Well, I’ll check it out tomorrow after work anyway. Let’s see if I can get some games cleaned off my backlog today before it hits.