Halo Wars 2 - Pour one out for Ensemble

Holy crap. They have card pack loot drops that you can buy with real money that give match buffs in MP.

I’m out.

Really? Not even going to wait to find out if there’s a killer single player campaign?

I’m disappointed that the beta is multiplayer only. I enjoyed the tutorial, but it was very short. And the only thing to do after that is to jump into a match against someone else online. I haven’t played an RTS game against someone else since Supreme Commander. Well, unless you count MOBAs, which I don’t, since they don’t give you the same satisfaction that RTS games give you when you win a battle.

Played a few matches 3v3 blitz mode. was pretty fun… its alot like TC Endwars except that you are limited to sharing resources AND playing cards that are randomly drawn from a 4 card hand from a built deck of i think 20? Like said before not sure how leveled decks will be balanced… since you can buy packs to level up cards and get rarer units. Best thing about this mode is the matches are VERY fast… none lasted longer than 6 or 7 minutes. The one blitz map resembles a moba design with lanes. Awesome part of game is I love how you can get to huge powerful units pretty quick… and matches can counter fast with the right units played.

the beta is definitely worth checking out, on win 10 store. i can see blitzmode as a good casual quick rts… akin somewhat to Clash Royale.

No, not really.

It’s for a specific mode that’s completely distinct from ordinary multiplayer.

does anyone know how/if halo wars 1 hd will be available separately for win10 outside of the preorder bonus?

Is anyone playing HW2? I picked it up yesterday through an MS employee discount, and I played the first few missions last night.

I’m totally struck by how the gameplay could have been lifted straight out of any RTS from 20 years ago. There’s not even one iota of evolution on display here. The maps are about the same size as the games from 20 years ago. The units are still brain dead. Nothing has changed except for the graphics. Seriously. It’s depressing as hell.

I had my finger hovering over the purchase button right up until I read the reviews (and watched live gameplay on Twitch). The game sounds terribly bland, and I’m not even an RTS elitest/purist.

Blitz sounded interesting right up until I found out about the monetization scheme.

I never played the first one (always meant to), so I wasn’t hungry for nostalgia so much as a good RTS on my XB1.

I haven’t bought it but I plan to. I liked doing the co-op campaign with a friend in the original game, should be fun again I hope.

There’s a Halo Wars 2?

-Tom

In the Windows “store”, at a frankly ridiculous price.

The blur studios cg cutscenes are awesome. Wish a whole movie came in this style. Fewer than the first game though.

Fewer, but longer. I think someome measured them to be around a minute longer overall than the ones in the first game.

also disappointed gideon emery (cutter) uses a flat generic american accent in the actual game instead of his normal, cooler voice that he uses in the funny commercials.

My pre-order on the Win10 Store app seems to have been botched. I have no way to play/install Halo Wars Definitive Edition that I was supposed to have received for pre-ordering.

Did anyone else get theirs? Ugh. I never learn my lesson. The Windows/Xbox app store/billing backend has always been the worst.

You get the DE code after 7-10 days, which you then can redeem. It’s not obvious, and it’s stupid, but it’s mentioned on the store page for the version of Halo Wars 2 that contains it.

And if it has gone more than 10 days, then contact support.

dammit. that’s obtuse.

looks like it only arrived 2 days ago…in my xbox messages. i had to login to xbox.com to get it. still obtuse.

This game has a demo now if anyone wants something to play around with while waiting for the inevitable sale. I don’t know what the demo features and limitations are:

Is anyone playing this?

Anyway, here’s an expansion: