Halp my pc is broken

Howdy. I’m having PC troubles. It’s been fucking ages since I’ve had a problem; I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.

Basically, it won’t boot. I’m not even hearing the beep that indicates it’s POSTing. It just starts up, fans whirr, and that’s it.

I installed a new HDD last night, everything was fine. Was backing up all my files in preparation for a Windows 7 installation. Today it was working fine; I gave it a reboot and that’s when the trouble started.

I’ve got not even the first clue of how to handle this. I’ve tried obvious stuff - making sure all my connections are solid. I’ve also tried disconnecting random bits in the hopes of getting POST error to at least see if the damned thing is alive. Nothing works. HALP!

Oh - I’ve got an Asus P5N-E SLI mobo. There’s a green LED on it, underneath one of the PCI cards that’s lit up.

Blown cap or power supply.

I thought about a capacitor; but I don’t see any that are blown on the mobo.

Could be the power supply… Any way I can somehow verify that? I tried disconnecting basically all my peripherals. FWIW all my fans are spinning just fine; the only one that isn’t is the one onboard the GPU (nVidia GTX 280) which I think is expected; as that one runs based on temperature…

I don’t remember if a computer will POST without a video card. Remove it and check.

A blown cap isn’t always obvious. “Blown” can mean “slightly raised metal” on a cap, not necessarily have stuff oozing out of it.

I’m guessing you’ve already tried using just one stick of RAM, and then switching them?

I haven’t actually yanked the RAM yet. One of the sticks is stuck beneath my GIANT FUCKING CPU COOLER and it’s going to be a nightmare to pull it out. Might as well get started on it, though. :(

Well, RAM is the only other thing I can think of that won’t let a computer POST.

Good luck, situations like this are a pain in the ass even if you have spare parts to test what the problem is. Patience is all I can suggest.

Switching out the RAM didn’t make a difference. :( Zero sticks, or each stick individually - same result.

Took out the video card as well. This motherboard is D-E-A-D dead. :( Guess I’m doing some newegg shopping. And I’m going to have to figure out what the fuck to buy.

Yeap, new mobo is your only choice.