Halt and Catch Fire (AMC)

The Verge says that this is getting a third season despite lackluster viewership. Sounds good to me.

Oh fantastic. Really like this show.

I’m really enjoying this show. Sometimes they ramp up the personal drama way too much for my taste but overall there’s a lot here I don’t find in other programs.

Finally had time to go back and burn through the final two episodes of the second season of this. Wow! What a great way to end the season!

I love that everyone (even Bos!) is finally packing up and leaving Texas behind. It had to happen at some point, and what a great catalyst for change, not just of scenery, but for all the characters. I do feel sorry for whomever was renting Mutiny that house though…no cleaning deposit is going to cover that mess.

I really like where they have gone with the Gordon and Donna story. Over two seasons they’ve become my favorite characters on the show and I WANT them to be happy. I also like how Joe and Cameron sort of switched roles this season. Suddenly Joe went from being a manipulator who you had to admire for his craftiness but hated for his methods and the way he treated people, to a guy who you felt genuinely sorry for as he tried to change into a better person and got screwed time and again, sometimes because of the very things he did to people previously. Gordon reaching out to him and genuinely caring about him in the final episode was great, and then Joe goes and turns that gesture into opportunity by “inventing” the anti-virus. So awesome! Meanwhile, Cameron was on the path to becoming a major manipulative bitch who screws over everyone all because of her need to control everything associated with Mutiny. It was nice to see her come back from the brink at the end of the season.

I’m glad to hear this show will get a third season. I can’t imagine who is watching it aside from tech people. While the writing and acting are very good, the real draw of this show for me is the technology nostalgia. Every episode I watch I slip back into my teen years in the 80’s, from the tech to the music to the sets, it’s a fantastic trip back to a simpler time when so much was still waiting to be discovered…

Wow, I guess I didn’t listen to the cool kids’ music, because I very rarely recognize anything from back then that they play in the show. Of course, I was in my 20’s starting in '81 and didn’t have a lot of money to buy records.

Almost all the music for the show so far has been stuff I would have heard on WOXY, the local college alternative radio station I listened to a lot as a teenager in the mid-80’s, plus a few lesser known MTV artists from Dave Kendall’s “120 Minutes” show. They do tend to pick some pretty obscure stuff though, probably less expensive that way. =)

The third season of this show premiered last night with two episodes. Pretty decent start to the new season, I thought. Looks like Cameron and Donna are going to set up something like Craigslist, and Joe is still SteveJobsin’ it up.

BTW, is it better to just start a new thread per season of a show?

[quote=“SlainteMhath, post:104, topic:74922, full:true”] I can’t imagine who is watching it aside from tech people. While the writing and acting are very good, the real draw of this show for me is the technology nostalgia.
[/quote]

I watch it! I’m surely a geek but nowhere near a technie. I work in oil and gas rather than anything tech focused, have never built my own computer and never will and cannot program anything.

It is still one of my favourite shows, for context along with Silicon Valley, Black Sails, Archer, Vikings and The Expanse in recent years.

Why? Not sure, I was born in the late 70s so the general nostalgia from the cultural references certainly helps - everything from clothes to furniture, attitudes, music, food, hair etc. This show is the nearest TV equivalent to the 80s pop and geek culture nostalgia motherlode that is Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One novel in that respect.

Otherwise I am hooked on the flawed but loveable characters and the story arc and the struggles of a would-be entrepreneur and the contrast between the commercial and the technical oriented characters.

Glad to have this back. While season 1 was about the characters not inventing the Mac and season 2 was about them not inventing Doom, it looks like this one is about them not inventing eBay.

While I love geeking out on the nostalgic details (yep, Mutiny is absolutely Lucasarts’ Habitat!) the real attraction is the characters. Cameron still seems more like a writer’s trope than an actual person, but Donna and Joe feel real. And Joe is a fascinating monster, because of how hard he wants not to be a real person. Like Jobs or Ronald Reagan or Jay Gatsby, he wants to be an archetype, not a mere mortal.

So the show continues to be about technological roads not taken. Cameron’s routing number solution looks attractive on the surface - but it wasn’t the way things went (presumably because it puts the all the financial risk on the clearing house until the “check” clears, which is why credit card companies exist in the first place. Also, good luck getting any bank to dick around with penny ante electronic transactions in 1986.) Meanwhile, Joe is on the right track … but he’s going to have to wait a decade to see what he’s anticipating become a reality.

For the first time the guys doing the music selections missed a trick, though. How did they get through that entire episode without using X’s “Fourth of July?”

(From a year later, but c’mon even detail-happy Mad Men bent those rules when it came to music.)

OK, so a couple of questions about tonight’s show: first, why does Gordon suddenly get mad at Donna? Because she admits she never liked camping? And second, did Cameron go and do something rash in Texas (the reveal in the very last shot)?

Also, how is it freaking possible that 1986 was 30 years ago already, aaargh!

Hot damn that last episode was intense! It’s been an amazing season so far. I’m very glad that this show continues to exist.

Right there with you. I just checked and there are three eps left this season, the last two of which will run back to back on October 11th (is that a bad sign for the show’s future BTW–has it been announced that this is the last season or something?).

One thing I did find pretty silly in one of the episodes earlier this season is where they go play laser tag as a team building exercise, and you can freaking see the laser beams as though they’re firing Star Wars blasters or something. Unless the room is exceedingly smoky or whatever, you wouldn’t be able to see the lasers, right (I’ve never played laser tag)?

Yeah the laser tag thing was for dramatic effect.

Hasn’t been announced that this is the last season, but each year the show is living on a prayer due to poor ratings sadly.

Only three more episodes?! Aaaagh! I’ve been loving this season, and the show as a whole. I can’t even quite express why I like it so much–which must mean it’s just great writing, the kind that can make anything compelling. Only a couple characters are terribly likable (Bos and Donna–and she’s been on a downhill slide this season), although they all somehow end up being sympathetic. Man, I wanna see mega-asshole Joe back on top again!

In the same boat, but it’s fantastic anyways. It doesn’t hurt that I was growing up in the middle of the subject matter, and I am rather familiar with the tech side.

Man, this last episode pretty much sucked for all of our heroes. :(

Is this supposed to be the last season?

Unclear. Unfortunately it hasn’t been doing that well in the ratings, so people have been speculating.

I bet that IPO scene hit close to home…

There were no scenes from the next episode in the post-credits preview, which makes me think they’re trying to hide a surprise. I’ll hazard a guess that we get a flash-forward to the future for the finale - but if they do that, yeah then that’s probably the series finale as well.

Renewed for a fourth and final season.

I’m halfway through season 2 and liking it better than season 1. It’s not great but it keeps me coming back for more.

Wow. Props to AMD. The ratings have been dreadful but the show has been killing it. Last episode was amazing.