Halt and Catch Fire (AMC)

I laughed when the mentioned using Gopher to transfer files around. Good times, good times.

The ratings on this show are abysmal. It’s crazy that AMC somehow gave them five seasons! AMC rules.

Loved the Kids in the Hall allusion. :-)

“I crush your head!”

I can see why nobody was talking about episode 1 of season 4, oh my god it’s awful. The pacing is just brutal. I thought I was gonna die during that epic phone call between Cameron and Joe. I had to actually skip forward in the video, I couldn’t take it any more. And that weak beginning timeshift montage as they build the ISP… ditto for the Donna Clark “look at my VC-osity” montage.

I sure hope episodes 2 and 3 improve on this.

I’ve been watching on the AMC app, but now they seem like they’re not releasing Episode 4 on the app? Where/how are you guys watching this?

There was a two-week break, the next episode airs Sept. 9th

This is good news, particularly because TODAY is Sept. 9! Thanks, Strollen!

Man this season has been just short of outright bad. The whole “nascent Google vs nascent Yahoo” is so overwrought. This show has always had a bad tendency to leap from one Idea Emblematic of Said Era to another, but this season is all the worst tendencies with no redeeming qualities in sight.

I am glad they got a season 4, I guess, but… ugh.

On the plus side, they do play Doom.

Also on the plus side, we got to hear the awesome “Cannonball” by The Breeders (was it Kim or her sis in the white shirt in this video–be still my 1993 heart!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvkI9MTQw4

Not to mention “Rebel Girl” by Bikini Kill. Don’t know if there’s an official video for this song but here’s one that apparently shows the band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOCWma5vOiQ

Pretty intense episode last night. First mention in a while of Gordon’s disease.

Can anyone tell me what the significance is of Donna’s discovery in Cameron’s game?

I really don’t know, but as we can see in tonight’s episode, she “beats” the game in the end. I think what the writers were trying to convey was that Donna knows Cameron well enough to figure out her idiosyncratic game design.
As to the other major thing that happens in this weekend’s episode… damn, that was a punch in the gut. Shit.

Gordon’s death is not unexpected, I suppose. He’s been sick for awhile. But they certainly made it hit hard. At least he had a near perfect day in the end. A feeling of reconciliation with Hailey (albeit not one in person), a new idea, proof that his electrical engineering skills were still top notch. Still, I got teary eyed all the same. The loss of my own father a little over a year ago is still fresh, I suppose. And these characters just all seem so real to me, they’re really what the show is about. I feel for Hailey who’s going to remember her last in-person interactions with her Dad as arguments.

How many people knew what was going on when Gordon was having his vision? Part way through it, I said to myself, “Oh, no…” Beautifully conceived and shot. Man, this show is the best show.

Here’s a really thoughtful article on the episode:

I kinda figured he was having a stroke because Donna just shows up out of the blue and doesn’t hear him, then the weird lens flare effects begin, then of course suddenly the daughters are little girls and at that point you know something’s going on.

Goddamn it. That episode was amazing. And so sad. Easily matches anything Six Feet Under ever did.

Yeah, I just finished watching it. The feels, they are strong, particularly if you’ve had a death in the family in recent years.
Bits I really liked: the Joe/Haley mission to rescue her dad’s sweater, Bos’ trick to get Joe to eat, Donna and Cameron’s last scene (that McKenzie Davis can act), and of course the dinner scene where Joe is still in such distress and hasn’t had a chance to talk it out with anyone.

Oh JFC finally something happens on this goddamn show in season 4.

Pretty much this.
I’m grateful there is a show about computer history of the 80s and 90s,but Halt and Catch fire has been uneven at best, so I’m not at all surprised the ratings have been crap. The episode was good but it could have been done by any other drama where one of the main characters died.