Ham fisted attempted Bush assassination

Did this get a discussion yet?

FBI: Grenade found at Bush rally could have exploded

TBILISI, Georgia (AP) — A grenade hurled in a crowd during last week’s speech by President Bush in the Georgian capital was live and considered a threat against the president, though it failed to explode because of a malfunction, the FBI said Wednesday.

In Washington, the White House spokesman said Secret Service agents in Georgia were examining whether security changes were needed, noting that some people at Freedom Square were seen getting around metal detectors at Bush’s May 10 speech.

Initially Georgian officials said the Soviet-era grenade was found on the ground, was inactive and posed no danger to Bush.

But FBI agent Bryan Paarmann said Wednesday that the grenade, wrapped in a dark handkerchief, fell about 100 feet from the podium where Bush was speaking and "simply failed to function."

It was reported when Bush was in Georgia, but they said it was a dud and posed no problem. It looks like it was actually a live grenade, but it didn’t go off. It says it landed 100 feet from Bush, which is just insane. The article says they had bullet proof glass around him, and you assume he was wearing a vest, but a live hand grenade within a 100 feet is a little much. Would ruin my day, even if I was dressed for it.

If you scroll down to the picture of the device it has a range of 130 feet. Regardless your politics, just imagine how messed up the world would be right now if that device had exploded?

Ah, here is the pic:

Not much? I mean, even if he were out in the open, not wearing protective clothing, it doesn’t seem as if he would be likely to die. Behide bullet proof glass and in armour, it doesn’t seem like it would do anything at all. At least to him.

I mean, Reagan was shot, Kennedy was shot and killed and world didn’t end. Pearl Harbour and 9/11 happened and the world didn’t end. I certainly hope Bush getting not seriously hurt at all wouldn’t be enough to mess up the world.

President Cheney :shock:

If he had bullet proof glass around him, the chances of him being injured by it are almost nill. Lethal range on a hand grenade is quite far, but even so, beyond a few feet the chances of a lethal hit or quite low. Most likely all the shrapnel would have been absorbed by the innocents in the crowd, with nary a piece reaching him.

President Cheney :shock:[/quote]

Pssh, he’s President already.

We’d trade a completely unethical slackwit for a completely unethical schemer? I dunno, hard to get too worried about it.

The real story is that according to the initial news, when it broke last week, was that the Secret Service apparently had no idea this even happened, until they were informed by Georgian police forces the next day. Not a ringing endorsement of our president’s protective forces.

Hey I’d like to see you try to keep George W Bush alive in Eastern Europe.

Who’d’ve thought somebody even dumber than the President would attempt to kill him?

Well he wasn’t dumb enough to try and test the grenade first…