Hand Of Fate (It's Not Manos - the Game)

I’ve been following this closely for a while, and after reading some comments and watching video of the latest build decided to jump in. It’s a rogue-like that uses a CCG as the foundation of building a dungeon. You create your deck and cards are turned over one at a time, each card representing the next step into the dungeon. Cards represent random encounters with other characters, shops, opportunities to find more loot, and, of course combat, which is played out in ARPG fashion.

It’s all very original and nicely polished for an indie title. It’s also a little pricey for Early Access ($25), but something this clever and original deserves to be rewarded. My only complaint is that there is only one character to play - no choice of races or classes. According to the developer, because of the design and mechanics, each class would be like redesigning the game from scratch. If this does well enough, perhaps dome DLC will offer additional choices.

I bought into this a while ago, and while its clearly not an AAA production, I REALLY like the style and presentation and the flow of the game. The narrators presentations is rather cool and fits the theme very well.

The only thing letting it down so far, is the actual combat, since thats a 3rd person action sequence that doesn’t really work so well.

Pretty good video of what I think is the latest build.

Wow, this looks very cool. It reminds me a bit of what Vic Davis was trying to do with Occult Chronicles, but with more of a focus on the cards. Thanks for posting the thread, tgb.

Too bad it’s a Steam Early Acccess. Someone remember to bump the thread for me when this goes final. :)

-Tom

James Portnow (of Extra Credits fame) did a James Recommends video on Hand of Fate. It’s on my things-to-try-once-they’re-mostly-final list.

Yeah, I saw this and it’s definitely an intriguing pitch as long as the execution is up to snuff. The main concern I had after watching videos was how engaging and varied the combat sequences would be, so I hope they turn out well.

I’m not that far into it -just past the tutorial dungeon, but even in the videos I’ve seen the player character is melee only. The AI can have archers and spring traps, but I haven’t seen anything like ranged combat or spell casting on the part of the player, which is a bit of a disappointment. Also, while there is better loot to grab, there are no stats, so the base character never develops.

Man, now I want a CCG based on Manos: The Hands of Fate.

I’ve played it quite a bit, and if you start poorly you’re doomed, whereas if you get a couple of early breaks it can be too easy. Balancing it is going to be tough. That said, it’s a genius mechanic and a really fun game already.

I just got a key for this, so I’ve been dabbling with it. Not a fan of card games usually, but the mix of random/roguelike elements, actiony combat and loot gathering is insanely appealing, enough to make the card element work for me. I’m honestly really digging it, surprisingly.

The game is in its final stages now, preparing for 1.0 and should be out of Early Access in mid-late February. Any comments from those who played? How has it evolved?

I love it and it has fleshed out nicely. Combat went from boring/tedious to fun for me. (part of that was advancing far enough to have a shield as starting gear though)

It’s a game that I’m having an easy time getting sucked into every time I fire it up.

Yeah, it really sounds like something I would enjoy, and a good friend of mine (who has similar tastes to mine in gaming) loved it. Hmmmm. I’ll certainly keep an eye on it and buy it when I can. Thanks!

I haven’t played it for several months but am looking forward to the final release.

February 17th release date!

-Tom

I played some of this a few weeks ago, then dropped it so as not to burn out before final release. Very polished, a lot of fun. I’m worried the content may be a bit too short, but it will be a fun ride - interesting mashup of genres.

I think there is quite a bit of content here, but more importantly the game seems designed in a way that would allow fairly easy addition to that content by the devs in the future.

Anyone who was waiting, it’s now out of early access. Anyone who already bought it gets DLC free in a month or so

539 Steam reviews generate an “Overwhelmingly Positive” remark. Worth a purchase?

This will also get an Xbox One release tomorrow.