Hands-on Xbox 360

To be fair to Dave, I don’t think he was proclaiming the death of the 360. I believe he was making more of a statement about CoD 2.

Actually I totally do that. e3 decides like 90% of my game purchases. And yes I know they arent done etc… but if they are fun in THAT environment, it will be money well spent, if it sucks, runs poorly or is buggy, I know to wait and get some opinions or for a price drop…

Even if the first run of games look “as good as on PC”, I think that’s fantastic. Current-gen PC games look great and I don’t play my Xbox or PS2 as much as I used to because of it. But judging by footage of games set to come out later for the 360, I’m not going to get anywhere near that on my PC until I spend lots more money on upgrades. Plus, the console experience is much different.

I didn’t like it at all, thus I leave it out.

Did anybody see the Call of Duty 2 TV commercial, and how it is exactly the same as the Brothers in Arms 2 commercial? It’s pathetic.

Wrong thread?

Well, Mark wasn’t really complaining about launch titles. His post was about whether or not any of these consoles ever really offer anything new, beyond PSX games with better graphics. My answer is yes, yes they definitely do.

Forza Motorsport is a great example. The physics and AI in that game simply could not be done on a lesser CPU, and they directly contribute (some would say define) the gameplay.

Having said that, let’s not discount better graphics as though they don’t contribute to our enjoyment of the game. We’ve had the “graphics vs. gameplay” discussion here several times before - they’re linked at the hip, and can not be so easily removed from one another. More to the point: the exact same game, with far better graphics, will be more enjoyable to play.

Like all consoles, there’s little reason to buy one until the first run of good games start coming out… which is often 4-6 months after launch.

Well that’s a matter of opinion, and in the case of both the PS2 and Xbox, a few million people disagree with you. Right off the bat I think the 360 has at least three or four games that look promising enough to be worth grabbing the console, but that’s just me and my tastes.

Agreed.

I mean he’s already made it clear that he’s unimpressed by everything he’s seen of all the launch titles. That’s not news. But he’s certainly not making a claim about the system’s overall popularity, success, or even quality. It was a judgement of a single game, and a PC port at that.

I’m still curious if the display was set up correctly, though.

Good point. I’ve seen things like this happen. For example, I saw GT3 looking like crap running at a store and had to set it myself to 1080i.

It could still be the game though. A friend of mine played King Kong on 360 and said it looked better than any PC game (and he has a pretty powerful rig).

Eh, King Kong on the 360 looks exactly like the PC version except it features lots and lots of shiny specular highlighting. Nice looking to be sure but not spectacular. Then again, the guy watching me play over my shoulder couldn’t stop ooh and aahing so I’m guessing that most people haven’t seen modern PC games on top of the line hardware.