Happy 30th, Star Trek:TNG!

Picard’s life is 5% unimaginable torture and 95% calm and collected. I miss the days of episodic TV, but looking back it’s pretty weird to see how characters just got rebooted every week and didn’t need to deal with the consequences of what happened to them.

Which is partly why “The Inner Light” is one of my favorite episodes - what happens there found its way into other (later) episodes somehow. Picard is more receptive to children after that episode, for instance. He gets interested in music in a different way. That little flute is show repeatedly in different contexts. So it somehow survived the “reset button” in a way, and I don’t know who to thank for that, but I’m glad it happened somehow.

IIRC, Picard’s mind meld with Sarek is another event that was touched upon again in later episodes.

The main thing I liked about “The Inner Light” was David Warner, who is awesome. Check out this interview that covers a bunch of his roles:

Well, yes. And his brief experience as Locutus also causes the later Picard to be belligerent towards the Borg in a way the previous Picard would never be. That said, there are almost no repercussions or mentions to Picard’s role in the battle of Wolf 359 after that, oddly. Anyway, some things survived the reset buttons, and I’m glad they did.

Speaking of Locutus and Wolf 359, Patrick Stewart did a great job in the Deep Space Nine pilot (and so did Avery Brooks). It was heartbreaking to see Picard there having to deal with the fact that he was at least partly responsible for what happened to Sisko, and to be forced to deal in such a personal manner with the fallout of what happened in Wolf 359.

I agree that was one of the most interesting aspects of the DS9 pilot.

I just realized that Marina Sirtis is a Cockney Sparrow and a Tottenham supporter, check out the tat:

Paging @triggercut she has just gone way up in my estimations

She’s damned hilarious.

She is the perfect woman, then.

From various relatives this Christmas, I got a spurs knit cap for winter, a couple of different scarves, and a warmup 3/4 zip jacket.

Today is the 25th anniversary of Deep Space Nine’s debut. January 3, 1993.

Goddamnit, I’m so tempted

That’s pretty cool. If the model is detailed enough, you can use it to make fan episodes of TNG.

Very nice. I wasn’t expecting it to be powered and light up from the inside like that, with LEDs providing the right look of a glowing inside the little windows, and the blue lighting of the nacells.

Just finished watching S3E7: The Enemy, where Geordi manages to fall into a hole and wind up stuck on a planet while Picard and G’Kar traverse the hurdles of brinkmanship together. It’s specific episodes like this one that always leave me feeling mildly disgruntled that the writers (or producers, whatever) never properly capitalized on the fact that the Enterprise D had a detatchable saucer section during the show’s run!

Much like Angel’s turn as Batman in the pilot episode of his Buffy spin-off, certain promises were made to the audience in TNG’s pilot it never fully delivered on. Sure, maybe that would have lessened the thrill of seeing the each half of Enterprise D meet their respective fates in Star Trek Generations, but it’s not like they’d be strapping it to a catwalk and dropping it into a gully, or feeding it to a blob of tar.

Anyway, it’s a good episode, especially Worf and Picard’s exchange about the fate of a blood-thirsty prisoner, but it was also the perfect (missed) opportunity for the Enterprise to flex a little.

16-year-old me is still just a tad bitter.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeadlyZanyArabianhorse-size_restricted.gif

I know this is a Star Trek thread, but holy cow did that guy do a passionate and spectacular job on B5 as the leader of a war torn and oppressed people. So many good scenes with him, like the elevator scene where he cuts himself and as the blood is dripping he goes “dead…dead…dead”, or his anger over London’s betrayal(s), or any number of other scenes. You could feel his anger and sadness. A wonderful role for that actor, he blew away the rest of the cast (Bruce Boxleitner can’t act).

G’Kar and Londo make for most of the best parts of B5, really. And Andreas Katsulas (which played a few roles in Star Trek as well, notably the Romulan in the episode @kerzain mentioned, hence his G’Kar joke) was a fantastic actor.

Don’t blame the writers. There are a number of explanations for why they didn’t do the separation sequence more, chief among them, I am sure, the expense of it: https://www.quora.com/Why-doesn-t-the-Enterprise-in-TNG-use-saucer-separation-more

They started the series with a 2-foot model and a 6-foot model of the Enterprise-D, both built by ILM, but only the 6-footer could saucer separate. Due its huge size, the 6-footer was difficult to film, which translated into more expense than anticipated The show creators originally envisioned saucer sep to be a regular thing, only to have it be undone by production realities.

They asked Greg Jein to build a 4-foot model which was easier to film than the 6-footer, but also offered a lot more detail than the 2-footer. Once that was in play, it became their principle filming model. But it could not separate.