Happy 70th, Dolly Parton!

Happy birthday, Dolly Parton! I mention this partly because it’s a milestone but also because so many of our musical legends have been taken from us just short of that lately, in their late 60s. Also, Dolly Parton is a national treasure. That’s right she is, shut up.

Best and original version of I Will Always Love You.

Thank God somebody made it to 70!

Which she also wrote. People tend to forget she’s a talented songwriter.

Plus, her theme park has the Wild Eagle coaster.

Growing up on “classic” and punk rock during the late 70’s and early 80’s I bought a used copy of her 1975 best of album. Having thought she was just a big-boobed caricature I was amazed at the Appalachian world she opened up with her early songs. She’s an awesome singer/song-writer.

Dolly Parton stays awesome.

Welp. Dolly being a living national treasure could only last so long. She recorded a song with Kid Rock and despite his anti-trans bullshit Dolly is moving ahead on releasing it.

Just like I did a song with Kid Rock on this album. Of course I did that before the controversy that he had, but somebody was talking to me the other day, “How could you do this [song] with Kid?” I said, “Hey, just because I love you don’t mean I don’t love Kid Rock. Just because I love Kid Rock don’t mean I don’t love you.” I don’t condemn or criticize. I just accept and love.

The response to that collaboration was strong…

Like I said, I had done that before, but I’d have probably still done it, because he is a gifted guy, and that song was about a bad boy; it was about a boy that was cheating and mistreating her. But like I say, I love everybody. I don’t criticize, I don’t condone nor condemn. I just accept them. But anyhow, just because I love you don’t mean I don’t love Kid Rock in that God way.