Happy Music for Scary Times Thread

I’m so willfully-ignorant or stupid. For some reason I have always thought the Still Standing song from the animated Sing movie was an original song. Sung by a 3D animated gorilla.

I’ve always found Corelli’s music makes me happier for some reason.

I just love that TV, Movies, Games… you name it, has a habit of introducing people to music they might’ve missed over the years. There’s nothing stupid about that; it’s a beautiful thing.

Kate Pierson’s voice from the B-52’s on that track is unmistakable.

How young Michael Stipe looked there!

@charmtrap Yeah, certain Baroque music really fits the bill for me as well. Bach Orchestral Suites and 2 and 3 Part Inventions, Preludes and Fugues, and Handel Concerti Grossi and keyboard suites.

So I dunno if this song is particularly “happy” or not, taken in a vacuum.

But it’s the performance, I guess. St. Giles in the Fields is rather famous old church in London, and they do allow live performance by secular groups, like this one. So, that’s a pretty magical setting right there.

And the song “A Matter of Time” is really lovely in the studio version. But they also dubbed in a bunch of instruments and a choir, which, obviously you can’t travel with very well. And so one story I’ve been told is that while everyone of these folks had rehearsed their own parts for this song separately or in small numbers, they’d never gotten to finish a full run-through with everyone.

And so from early on in the song you can see everyone on stage – I’m guessing introverted music nerds, all of them – exchanging these sly half-smiles, trying not to just have their hearts burst wide open because it all totally is working and making this magnificent performance come to life. And there’s just so much joy and sweetness and happiness radiating off everyone on that stage that it affects me deeply. I think more than once, this video has brought me in off an existential ledge.

(sorry, I couldn’t resist, lol)

I love this song! Peaceful!

Sort of in the vein of @barstein’s track above, but game related, one of the most catchy tracks I’ve ever heard, full of Kurt Weil-esque influences, with a little riff from In the Hall of the Mountain King-- “Moleman Music”:

BTW @triggercut that Leisure Society video was awesome, thanks for posting it.

Yeah, this is great. Their joy is (ahem) infectious!

My tastes may be different and/or wider than the rest of QT3, however.

(Everything from classical, to show tunes, to classic rock, to Nordic roots, to whatever you want to classify the above as.)

Oh yeah, and a song for our times

I mean this one always makes me happy.

So do these

So does this one but

Not sure Everybody Dies is a title for everyone these days

I think it’s scientifically impossible to listen to the Katamari Damacy soundtrack and be sad:

For relaxing, though, I’ve gone down the mallsoft rabbit hole:

YES! Great pick!

And a good excuse to pull out one of my most prized possessions…

Kickin’ it old school, I see.

OT, but I really love your new avatar from a classic Loony Tunes sketch IIRC.

Thanks, Papa G.! Yes, it’s from my favorite WB cartoon, Duck Amuck where the artist’s paintbrush keeps messing with Daffy until the ending reveal that it was Bugs behind the drawing table all along. Something about a mischievous, all-powerful creator changing everything on a whim just seemed appropriate for the times! :)

This last one might not quite fit the thread, since the “happy” portion only comes in halfway through, and it benefits a lot from the context of the rest of the album, but damned if it isn’t the most effective thing I’ve ever heard for snapping me out of cycles of doubts and negative thoughts.