Happy Thanksgiving 2019

I’m working on Filling right now, but its a blueberry pie.

HTG!

🦃+🌮= 😋

Happy T-day y’all, so how’s @Nesrie doin’? Reckon it might be quite the challenge this day…

Tryptophan setting in. Tough combination, Thanksgiving dinner and a couch @ SIL house.

Oh, their new dog bit my wife in the face but the bleeding has stopped. Flesh wound, almost got her lip.

Happy & safe thanksgiving QT3zians!

Happy Thanksgiving, all! My wife and I usually hosted our families for the last few years, but this time around my mom insisted on hosting. Last February we had a kid with a few special needs, and so we’ve had a lot on our plate. So it was just as well that she and dad were hosting. We loaded up the car today to drive up to their place, and a few blocks away from our house, we developed car trouble. We headed back to our house. Then my dad drove all the way down to pick us up, and after a swell night with the families, drove us back home again.

I might’ve broke my foot and destroyed my right knee yesterday, but uhh, I still did it! It went fine today even as I limped around to finish it, two bumm legs.

Happy Thanksgiving!

And all’s well that ends well. What was wrong with the car?

Whoa… sounds like quite the day. What happened? Turkey knew krav maga?

Last year the turkey never thawed in the fridge. It took MANY hours for that fucker to cook, we didn’t serve dinner until 8pm.

This year, my wife didn’t buy the turkey until Wednesday. Frozen. I told her to keep it out overnight to thaw, it would be fine. She said no and put it in the fridge. The core was still frozen and it took over 6 hours to cook an 11 lb. turkey.

Ah well, turkey kinda sucks, anyway. Stuffing and mashed were great!

And @lordkosc, it’s stuffing you heathen.

One should not mess with the seven face bird!

https://twitter.com/akokitamura/status/1065714959789608960

It wound up being a little access door in a splash shield that you’d open to access the oil filter, etc., when you do an oil change. I hit some very icy snow and it got torn open, making it act like a scoop for snow, gravel, squirrels, and so on. You know, like when you need fuel and you fly too close to a star in Elite. I took it to a nearby auto mechanic that was open today, after first calling a body shop to see if it was their bailiwick. Did they identify the problem? Yes. Did they solve the problem? No, or Yes with a temporary fix, or Good enough. They drilled a hole and put a zip strip in there to keep the panel closed. The dealership wasn’t taking calls to see if the actual splash shield part was in stock for a permanent fix. This will hold until the next time I get an oil change, and as long as they have zip strips, this is a Good Enough fix until we consign the car to the ash heap of history.

So, lots to be thankful for on Thanksgiving. Cheap and easy fix, got car back in operation in a short amount of time, still got to celebrate with the family!

Heh. It would be way more exciting if the bird attacked me back for sure. I stepped off the side walk wrong, and instead of going down, the one foot went at an odd angle and the other pivoted to keep me upright. Good news is I stayed upright, bad news is now both legs are not happy with me at all. I am doing ice treatments for a couple of days before deciding if I go seek medical treatment. Since I can actually walk unassisted and navigate stairs, I am not entirely sure what’s wrong only that horrifically sharp pains occur if either the knee or ankle hit an angle it doesn’t like.

If you can put weight on both, it is probably just a mild sprain and/or pulled muscles.

But then, I don’t even play a doctor on TV…

It sure don’t feel mild when turned in a certain way but… you are mostly in consensus with other folks. I say mostly because those who have sprained their ankle in the past don’t think I could just hobble around as I am. If i just walk straight there is no pain at all, like nothing.

But hey forced thanksgiving menu, sous vide my first whole bird, butchered apart, nearly face planting into my sidewalk. Thanksgiving 2019 won’t be soon forgotten. :-)

Torn ligaments in the cross thingies that keep those joints flexible? Hurts like hell. But it’ll pass. Never completely heal tho, not if you’re no longer twelve.

Pfft. You’re getting close to negative here but… could be right. If so I guess I am… lucky. At least I have enough leftovers that I don’t have to go anywhere to test out how bad it is getting in and out of a car just yet.

Psst, leftover turkey went home with others, thankfully.

I twisted a knee in MMA training many moons ago. That knee still looks odd and can, at times, be a bum knee. Only slightly, but it is reminding me I’m not twelve no more. Same for the ankle I twisted fighting the whole crowd at a flogging molly concert (god that was fun!)

What I’m saying is, it will most likely on its own heal up to a point where you can use the leg just like you always have. The performance envelope of how much odd force you can put on it just has gotten a little smaller and in edge cases it will remind you.

Glad you’re not stuck with yucky turkey eh :) Just nurse those poor joints and do things like you’re 80. You’ll be fine.

Better?

Much better! I am fortunate though, i know several people around my age who either are in line for or have already had knee surgery, and a few of them are mad they can’t get replacement knees yet, and I don’t think I am even close to that even injured.

So the texture is soooo much better sous vide. It doesn’t solve that, but it still tastes like turkey problem. A few people were concerned with the color, but it’s easy enough to compare online to know it was exactly as it was supposed to be not that bright crumbling white stuff that is often served. I suspect once everyone gets comfortable with that it they’ll think it’s fine. My mom was the most weirded out about it but she insisted on taking a lot of the turkey rather than knowing I would throw it out in a couple of days if it was left here.

My ten year old nephew would not eat a single thing. This is that thing I am noticing with some kids; that some of them are used to parents preparing meals just for them. Even my five year old nephew is not as picky these days… but I try not to hit that old person stereotype and just judge him. It was probably around 11-12 I figured out I don’t like turkey, and all i had to do was drown a few bites in potatoes and then eat anything else to stay out of trouble. Watching him like refuse everything, I just wanted to lean over and tell him, eat a few bites and then go back to the chips and dips… and no one will likely even notice. You sitting here asking for pepperoni sandwich is just making your mom mad and for… nothing.

Yeah I can emphasize with the little fucker. All those tensions, all those people being so wound up and tense and forcibly positive and cheerful. I’d grow a huge mohawk over that and just try to make things burn as well were I ten and in that situation ;-)

Pepperoni is not nothing. :)

I’d prefer a pepperoni sandwich over turkey any day.