Hard Drive Help (PC)

Why not just add the ssd as a third drive?

That’s what I would do.

Install anything new on the 2nd SSD or transfer/resinstall. The only time I ever did a replacement was basically because I wanted to replace the OS drive, and you’re not doing that.

Ya, just installing it as a 3rd was an option I just didn’t want to get too detailed in my question as I was mostly looking for confirmation that just adding a SSD would be pretty easy since my Windows drive isn’t being changed. There is a ton of space in my box to add whatever I want, but I’m not sure what connections I’d need to add (if any).

Quick install video here.

All I needed myself was a 6 Gbps SATA III cable.
You’ll also need a power cable, but most modern machines will have an extra power connector or two hanging around in there.
I’m assuming your computer is new enough that it has a 6 Gbps SATA III connector on the motherboard? If it does, then just buy a cable, and you should be good to go.

This is the SATA III cable I bought (Pack of 3 for $7.49). I needed one with a 90 degree angle on one end because of tight quarters, but you can get a version that’s straight on both ends. But I figured there was really no down-side to getting a right-angle on one end, since that type will work for just about any install, whether you need it or not.

You’ll also need a place to mount the drive, but again, most modern desktop machines will be set up for this. You’ll definitely want to have a look inside to plan it all out beforehand though. My PC came with two install bays for SSD’s or 2.5" HDD’s, along with some adapters.

After it’s installed and connected, you’ll also need to format the drive. These instructions assume you’re using Win 10.
Personally, I’d then transfer all your games to the new SSD (faster loading), and just use the the HDD for photos and videos and other data.

Oooh, nice. Thanks so much for all the replies. Now I just have to find the time to do this. 😁

Every minute is precious I know but this should be maybe a 10 minute upgrade, like a minute or two to find the power and to connect the SATA to either end, then a few minutes to format. It might take you longer to unplug all your cords than it will to add that, and depending on how easily accessible your case is, you might not need to do that, just the power.