Hardware vendors to avoid

I purchased a couple of Corsair RAM sticks a few years ago for a new build, and they both failed within a month. Replaced them with Crucial sticks (my longtime go-to brand for RAM), which worked fine for years. That was the first and last time I bought anything made by Corsair.

Corsair and OCZ are gamer brands, I don’t trust them. They OEM shit that works from other people. Corsair PSUs were good for a while cuz they rebranded Seasonic (good stuff), then they stopped using Seasonic.

Also, I’ve been burnt a lot by OCZ. I used to be dumb. I would read Tom’s Hardware and even more shilly websites (MIKAILTECH). I was dumb and I bought it all up.

Compared to what Mad Catz paid for Saitek, Logitech got them cheap. Maybe Saitek won’t have such crap build quality anymore because as mentioned it has been abysmal. Logitech on the other hand? I love those guys. I am typing on a Logitech keyboard and using a Logitech mouse. Even with the sale, Mad Catz is looking at being de-listed from the NYSE even if they perform a reverse stock split.

I had several of those stupid IBM Deathstars. Nothing like hearing one of those glass platters explode in your computer and knowing all the pictures you just downloaded and didn’t back up yet are gone.

OCZ went bankrupt.

Yeah, “made by Corsair” was a poor choice of words on my part.

Asus used to be rock solid but seems like they’ve really gone downhill in recent years. Doesn’t help that their customer support basically doesn’t speak English. Oh, and downloading drivers from their website is apparently hosted on a 486 hidden in a closet in Taiwan somewhere, because I’ve had to endure 56k speeds for an hour to download a file that should have taken seconds. All while my PC was down because I needed the driver. So infuriating.

HGST has been the best choice for years. The IBM Deathstar period is long since gone.
I have had a bunch of Seagates that have failed over the years, and I’ll never buy Seagate again.

Not too impressed by ASUS after I got the Rampage V Edition 10 Motherboard to replace the previous Asus MB I had (with BIOS Backup or w.e.) that failed in BIOS… :( (cost me a lot to replace even if it was fully “competitive” in terms of performance)… The hardware might be good, but the supplied software/drivers is abysmal and the support is non existent.

Hmm, I’ve had a great experience with an ASUS gaming laptop. 3.5 years old now and still running well. Was considering a new one shortly and was going to prob go with ASUS. They still seem to have good reviews on Newegg or where-ever. But I’ll have to relook into that now.

ASUS had the best/worst Engrish slogan: rock solid heart touching

I’ve had godawful luck with Logitech. Mouse, speakers, keyboard, headset all failed within a year of their warranty running out. Like an idiot I keep buying because no one else seems to run into these issues, and they run good sales often enough – in fact my current mouse and desktop speakers are Logitech.

My last two laptops are ASUS. Rock solid. Never an issue with support because I never had to contact them. When I was building desktops ASUS mobos were also my go to. I guess YMMV.

I’m sure some of their stuff is still good, but I feel like it’s a lot more hit and miss than it used to be. ASUS used to mean 110% sure this is gonna be a solid product. Now it’s a dice roll. And if you roll bad, good luck getting help from their non english speaking support :(

Yes, this. I have been an Asus customer for as long as I can remember, both motherboards and video cards. Now I am no longer so sure.

Speaking of Asus, they’re being investigated for price fixing in the EU.

I have had nothing but great success with ASUS in the past. Solid stuff.

But, you all know me, you know my recommendation to avoid.

Powercolor

I think I have ranted enough about them already.