Harley Quinn - HBO's Best DC Property

I watched the first episode of the show. I was afraid that I might feel out of my depth since I’m not familiar with DC comics much besides the big blockbuster movies, and completely unfamiliar with any of their animated shows.

But I needn’t have worried. Every single character in this show, I was already familiar with, from having played Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Including Calendar Man! So none of it felt unfamiliar!

A great start.

(Watches The Gray Man, then a couple of days later watches episode 3 of this.)

Billy Bob Thornton is having a tough week.

Thanks to King Shark, I learned that sharks have two penises! As if Jaws wasn’t terrifying enough.

(Edit: pleased Kite Man is doing ok.)

Just finished season one and loved it. I always appreciate Qt3 recommendations.

Poor Bane never gets a break. Or his pasta maker back.

Just finished season two. God damn this is turning into one of my all-time favorite cartoons.

Just started on Season 3. Once again Bane is the greatest. “I will take the full fury of my business elsewhere!”

I kind of want to start a band called “Bane’s Pasta Maker.”

OMG, in the latest episode, when it was revealed that Joker uses a CPAP, it freaking KILLED me.

YUS

Yay! In light of the Disco merger that feels like a minor miracle - I hope they don’t pull the rug out from under us.

I think that’s great.

I also think the thread title could change “HBO’s” to “The” and be more accurate.

“By far the” really, at least barring a return to form for Young Justice that seems extremely unlikely at this point.

Great episode this week. This show goes to unexpected places.

I introduced the show to my wife and she’s thankfully enjoying it a lot, so I’ve banked the last few episodes so we can experience them new together. Can’t wait.

That really was a fantastic episode, one of the best they’ve done I think. I’m still so shocked and so very, very happy this thing is getting another season.

I particularly appreciate that they (so far at least) haven’t felt the need to sabotage Harley and Ivy’s relationship the way most shows would have done by now.

This episode finally had this season firing on all cylinders. The Joker episode was good, but didn’t have Harley. The other episodes so far have been largely holding actions, with the whole “we have to rescue Frank right now … but not this week” thing.

But hey, this week we got major movement on the plot, we get the gang back together (finally), we get another memory episode, we get a Harley-centric story where she can get things done by being a psychiatrist, and we also get a good Batman story. And of course, a plant zombie apocalypse. Can’t wait till next week.

I tried watching this, but after a few minutes, turned it off - it seems mighty crass and violent - is that the entire show, or just the intro? (No judgement,I just don’t really like it)

I had a similar reaction based on the first few minutes of the first episode—“oh great, this is just DC edgelord stuff after all,” I thought—but it does get (significantly) better. I do not think the first episode is very good, but it’s sort of necessary to setup Harley’s relationship with the Joker and the resulting trauma. If you can grasp that or already know the characters, just skip to episode two as it’s more representative of the show. The subsequent episodes where she’s figuring out what she wants to do and starts assembling her crew are funnier and more entertaining overall.

That said, the violence and crassness never go away. Some episodes are less violent than others, but it’s a pretty violent show and the violence is usually played for laughs. I think it’s great, probably the best animated show I’ve seen in a long while (since Archer I guess), but there’s no getting around the violence. However, I found it more palatable in subsequent episodes and I even giggle a bit every time a certain character chomps somebody (he’s a shark).

+1 to Dissensus’s analysis. The first couple episodes lean too far into the violence and they tone that down by the end of the first season, but it never disappears entirely.

Like many shows, this one doesn’t find its “tone” until a few episodes in. That said, the first episode is not far off of what they settle into… it just has more compound fractures.