Harnessing the wind

Every time I read an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto, I get the impression that he is some sort of genomic-cross breed between a Japanese mummy and Michael Jackson. What kind of lunatic says something like this?

Shigeru Miyamoto: For a long time, we’ve wanted to be able to make use of wind in games and we’ve had some real windy stages in the Super Mario games before, but really it wasn’t until we were able to harness the technology of the GameCube, that we we’re able to finally express wind blowing in a video game. That was one of the challenges and driving forces behind the concept of The Wind Waker.

All I have to say is that Sony and Microsoft better look out. I would say cracking the code to videogame wind technology is tantamount to being the first nation to build the atom bomb. I think I will go trade in my PS2 for a Gamecube today and avoid the riotous rush which will come once word spreads.

Something may’ve been lost in the translation.

Where is Dave Long, he can clear this up.

Chill, Dave, this is a joke, son, a joke!

hmm

Miyamoto was the guy who used gardening as an inspiration for one of his games, Pikmin.

-Tom

The question in my mind is whether he will be able to harness the building-preserving/people-destroying power of passing wind.

That jpeg almost makes me not want to play Zelda. That’s the fruitiest Link ever.

Yeah, the new cartoon look for the Zelda game is sure to shatter that idea that the Gamecube is aimed at kiddies.

I think I’m one of the few who prefer the new look. I thought that ultra-realistic Link looked like a tool.

Then again, just because he looks like a cartoon doesn’t mean they need to make him into a wand twirler.

Me too. I actually was totally uninterested in the Zelda game for the gamecube till the redesign.

That looks positively elfin.

It’s weird that the “realistic” link is considered to be the original, given that the latest 3D Zelda is the one that comes closest to matching the look of the 2D games, which were plenty cartoony.

The animation in this one is gorgeous. It really does look like an interactive cartoon.

Hmmm!

Post Script: Argh! http://community-2.webtv.net/DanceingChris/PictureGallery/index.html - second from the bottom.

I read comments like that from Miyamoto and wonder why it is that other developers can’t look out the window and come up with something to incorporate into games that’s so simple and yet so profound. That’s why he’s maybe one of the greatest game makers of all-time. His games always revolve around simple concepts with deep gameplay implications.

Miyamoto practically wrote the book on console game design.

–Dave

It doesn’t sound like wind does anything except limit the player’s movement options. Just like in every other Zelda game and their clones, it sounds like you will have some sort of central area where you go from portal to portal to gain access to different game areas. Normally you can move freely between them, but by making them islands & throwing in wind, they can limit your ability to choose where you want to go next. It does show me the cultural difference - a Japanese designer using a nature theme, while an American designer would probably use force fields.

a Japanese designer using a nature theme, while an American designer would probably use force fields.

Nice.

Racist, but nice. :)

-Tom

I’ve already reported his post to the FFADL (Force Field Anti-Defamation League). A team of hot female cyborgs will soon arrive at Supertanker’s house to take him into custody.

Nice.

Sexist, but nice. :)

It isn’t racist, it is a celebration of the myriad ways the diverse cultures of the world might implement the same tired gameplay mechanics.