Harpoon: Old School Gaming at it's Finest

I recently found out that Harpoon 4 could be delayed until May. This for a game that was originally due out in the year 2000. Needless to say, disappointing.

So I dug out my Harpoon Classic 97 (the I-Magic update of the original Harpoon Classic) and went online to see if someone still had the original patch to download when I discovered…

http://www.hc2002.biz

A bunch of enthusiasts last year released an update to Harpoon Classic 97 that fixes a ton of the problems that were left with the game, as well as modifying the game engine to improve the AI significantly.

And so far, all I can say is “Wow!”

Though I wish they could have done something with the awkard interface (trying to ID a unit and then giving it an order requires toggling between two different windows), I have to say I’m really impressed. I’m able to relive some glorious Harpoon moments again, and it’s actually better than ever now that I have a spacious 21-inch monitor to enlarge and spread my windows out. Not to mention an AthlonXP 2100+ to run a game originally ran on 1989-era computers (and the I-Magic remake required a whopping 486SX 33). Needless to say, time compression flies like a bat out of hell now.

There’s a demo, but to play the full version of the upgrade you need to pay a $10 registration fee. But it’s worth it, especially if you just can’t wait anymore for Harpoon 4 to address that naval warfare fix.

They’re supposed to be working on an updated platform editor and database, but seeing that their web site said November 2002 for a release date on those, they’re obviously behind schedule. But this is definately worth it.

Time to unleash some whoop-ass on the Kola Penninsula again with those mighty US Navy CVBG’s!

I guess if you don’t happen to have a copy of Harpoon '97 kicking around you’re just shit out of luck on this one…

That’s why God invented eBay, my son.

Harpoon Classic