Harry Anderson (Night Court) has died

Everyone saying what I’d say here. Was the one sitcom I actually liked as a kid.

Night Court was the first TV show I remember genuinely looking forward to every week, it became my first “appointment” TV that wasn’t a cartoon. I never laughed as hard or as often watching anything else. Just an amazing show, and Harry Anderson was a huge part of what made that work for me. A tremendous loss, indeed.

He started out doing magic on the street.

He was spectacular. As is always the case, plucked from the world too soon.

I saw that in the news this morning. Super-sad now, Night Court was SUCH a wonderful show, and he was the heart of it. Hell, Dave’s World was also a great show that didn’t last long enough.

Way too young.

Night Court was to TV sitcoms what New Comiskey Park was to baseball stadiums.

RIP. Harry was a lot of fun.

I saw this pop up in one of those little side ads/articles on a news site last night and figured it was one of those fake celebrity death things you see all the time. You know the ones : “This beloved actor tragically passed away and nobody even knew…”

Woke up this morning and was crushed to see it was real. Harry Anderson was awesome. Like so many people here, Night Court was a favorite of mine. I was 14 when it first aired, and 22 when it ended, 193 episodes later. From Anderson to Richard Moll to John Larroquette, Markie Post, Charles Robinson and Marsha Warfield…I loved every actor/character on the show. The revolving door of semi-famous '80s celebs that would guest star was fantastic. For a show that only had a handful of sets and pretty much the same basic plot every episode, it never failed to entertain. Tightly written and often very poignant in tandem with the comedy, it made me think that someday, if I ever went before a judge for something, I’d want that judge to be like Harry Anderson’s Judge Stone.

RIP Mr. Anderson, you will be missed.

I was curious how he came to end up in Asheville. That’s a cool little town.

I never even knew. I’m not especially far from there, and like the town a lot. Decent place to wind up at.

Sorry to hear about his death. Like others here I loved Night Court and I can remember him from Cheers. I also remember seeing him occasionally showing up on something and doing his comedy magic act.

I was there Saturday!

Amazing article, thanks for sharing.

One of my favorite books was by him, “Games You Can’t Lose, A Guide For Suckers”. It made me feel like a con man growing up and the stories on the carny games you can’t win was also great reading.

https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Andersons-Games-Guide-Suckers/dp/067164727X/ref=pd_cp_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=067164727X&pd_rd_r=WQVMQS9GN4ND25RAAKBA&pd_rd_w=VcBDn&pd_rd_wg=Tnj91&psc=1&refRID=WQVMQS9GN4ND25RAAKBA

Night Court was super formative for me growing up, watching on the black and white TV in my bedroom. It was so great and progressive and had an amazing ability to blend comedy with drama in a really powerful way. I still have vivid memories about the first bayliff dying, and Roz having a mental health crisis. Harry Anderson provided such a great, kind center to the show.

Does anyone else remember that Dave Barry show he starred in?

It’s nice to hear that someone you thought was this nice, was actually even nicer. Too often it is just the actor being good at acting he is nice.

FeelsBadMan

Can’t say I ever want to see that again!

It’s a retirement town for a lot of celebs. Fairly inexpensive with great culture.