Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Chris Colombus was far worse, and somehow they kept coming out.[/quote]

No way. The first two movies are definitely better than this one. The more I think about it, the less I think I liked watching this last one at all and compared to Azkaban, it’s a total disaster.

–Dave

:shock: You must have watched a completely different movie from me.

I’ll take Newell’s endless close ups over Colombus’ dull literalism any day.

The first two films were like going to a theme park and then spending all your time hanging out at the concession stand.

Another unfortunate bit cut from the book - he shows up in person a few times in the book, IIRC.

Oh, dammit! One more thing they completely left out - I think this was the first year that they were supposed to be able to travel out to that nearby village, I forgot it’s name. Had all sorts of sweets and joke stores and everything. I think it was nearby that place that they met Sirius once.

Hogsmeade. They went there last year, though. In Prisoner.

Chris Colombus was far worse, and somehow they kept coming out.[/quote]

No way. The first two movies are definitely better than this one. The more I think about it, the less I think I liked watching this last one at all and compared to Azkaban, it’s a total disaster.

–Dave[/quote]

According to the tomatometer, it’s on par with [i]Prisoner[/i], and unquestionably better than [i]Sorceror[/i] or [i]Chamber[/i].

But yeah, what do they know, anyways?

I’ll take Newell’s endless close ups over Colombus’ dull literalism any day.

A big ditto from me as well. Honestly, take as a movie, it really is the best of the four to date. I think some folks are hung up on parts missing from the books instead of the movie as a whole. And you just KNOW the DVD will have some of those extra scenes on it.

Um… I don’t give a shit about what’s in the books since I never read them. This is not that good a film and definitely not as good as the other three. I’m very surprised the critical reception is as good as it is.

–Dave

Now you know how I felt when I was one of the lone wolves criticizing Sin City.

I’ve got some backup at least. Jeff Green and Brett Todd and a few others seem to think it’s not all that either. Don’t call me the lone renegade just yet!

Sin City was good, and obviously captured the comic book very well, but it’s just too brutal for me. It sucks getting old and having kids. You can’t enjoy ultra-violence anymore in the same way you do at 20.

–Dave

I’d agree with RT, though, but only because I thought the first two movies were incredibly dull. Still remember the disappointment of the first one, after initially just digging the fact that I was watching a Harry Potter movie. Hey, cool! There’s Hogwarts! There’s Dumbledore! There’s Hagrid! There’s–hey, this introductory stuff is getting kind of–zzzzzzzzz. Not nearly as crushing as experiencing the first 20 minutes of Phantom Menace after the excitement of the long wait and the pumped-up crowd in line outside, but still…

Anyhow, I’d put Goblet at number two behind Azkaban. I basically felt it was mediocre overall, but balanced off with some very cool scenes (and unlike a lot of you, I loved the opening with the seriously creepy Death Eaters).

Dave, here’s why I can never agree with you. Do you remember the scene from the second film?

Percy enters in the company of PENELOPE CLEARWATER, just
as NEARLY HEADLESS NICK glides by.

PENELOPE CLEARWATER

There's Nearly Headless Nick.

PERCY

Hello, Sir Nicolas.

NEARLY HEADLESS NICK

Hello, Percy.    Miss Clearwater.

To me that fabulous moment of name-checking summed up the first two films for me. Scene after scene stating the obvious, without any real magic or insight into making the film anything more than a travelog throught the books.

The sets were gorgeous, the actors were great, the movies were wet dishrags shot with just the wrong touch of faux Spielbergian terribleness that marks Colombus as the second rate film-maker that he is ever destined to be in my eyes.

All hail the spiritual father of Mrs. Featherbottom.

I’m with Dave too. Didn’t really enjoy the film. Pretty cringe-inducing actually. My wife just really likes these movies for some reason.

This may be the last one for us in the theater though since neither of us were able to finish Order of the Phoenix and we didn’t even contemplate reading The Half Blood Prince.

The only good that could possibly come out of this whole series is if they ever make Harry Potter Online and my wife decides to play an MMOG finally.

The only good that could possibly come out of this whole series is if they ever make Harry Potter Online and my wife decides to play an MMOG finally.

:shock:

That, sir, is a billion dollar idea.

Except for one thing: who gets to be Harry?

Nobody, of course. Just like nobody got to be a Jedi in SWG when it launched.

–Dave

Imagine how much it would suck to have the Loosey Goosey magic of the HP universe put into an MMO type system…

No Cruciatis until level 15! Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Ding 50! Avada Kedavra, here I come, bitches!

I can see it now…

Cruc10, d00d!

Wouldn’t it be more accurate to say “Nobody, just like nobody gets to be Han Solo or Darth Vader in SWG. Or how nobody gets to be Thrall or Arthas in WoW.”