Has anyone actually completed Dungeon Siege?

I finished the game, but the last couple of hours were done merely because I wanted to see the end. It had all kinds of issues for the last part, not including all the issues with weapon and armor use. Ugh. I still like it, but I’m hoping DS2 fixes lots of things.

I finished it too.

The best part was finding the king in the dungeon, and, simply because of how my party was positioned when we went to the cutscene, having him explain the intricate plot (ahem) to one of my donkeys.

The donkey looked at him knowingly, so perhaps he was comforted.

After I beat the end-boss, I went back along the single path and found the king still standing in his dungeon hideaway. I talked to him again to tell him everything was a-okay and the Big Bad was dead, but he just told me all about the Big Bad again.

If you’re going to allow the player to continue to wander the world after the plot is over, at least have a “Yay! We won!” speech for your NPC’s.

The engine kicked ass, big time. It looked great, played great and had no loading.

The problem was that the actual game was missing. It was much too simplistic. No stats to play with (all automated), and the item system was lame. You’d play through an entire dungeon and often get nothing of significance out of it. In Diablo you kill a unique (named monster) or few along the way (and at the end) and always have a shot at getting a really cool item.

Ah, the goold old semi-interactive fantasy screensaver. I played until that first long tunnel, then I got bored and moved on to the clearly superior gameplay of Progress Quest.

I worked on the expansion pack (quite a bit, actually).

I started the original and quickly got bored.

Where the game really perked up for me was in multiplayer - it became much more fun and fast-paced with even a few friends going through it at the same time.

I finished the game and it was a chore. I was hoping for atleast a decent loot item from the big treasure room at the end, and it still gave out crap.

Ill agree the engine was awome, but the game itself was pure shit. The classes and loot were boaring. All the magic system consited of was a few spells that got upgrades. Most of the new spells were worthless and you ended up using just 1 or two spells over and over because all of the rest of them sucked so badly. Archers never got anything, no cool skills, no cool bows. Just “fire arrows”. Warriors were pretty much the same. No whirl-wind attacks, no life stealing, no nothing.

The graphics were nice, but it was one long gauntlet with no end in site. None of it was memorable, say like many areas in D2 such as the arcane sanctuary, cathedral in hell, or even the final battle with baal.

And the thing that pissed me off the most? In 1999 the maker of Dungeon siege (and TA) was interviewed on gamespy along with a bunch of guys about games in the year 2000, and one thing he kept saying was “If I see another diablo clone, I am going to puke.” He must have said something like this about 7 times in the itnerview. Then dungeon siege comes out, and what is it? A shitty diablo clone.

Maybe he’s bulemic.

I win, because I only played part of the demo, which caused me to very much not want to play the full version.

I’m almost 18 hours into the game now. Can anyone tell me how long it actually is? If it’s around 25 - 30 hours, then I’ll more than likely finish it. If it’s more than 40, then I’m not sure if I’ll make it. :(

hmmm, well, i finished it and must say it is the reason i like Untold Legends on the PSP…mindless hack n’ slash with a very small dash of RNG sprinkled in.

as a matter of fact, several people i used to work with finished it, we then all finished the multiplayer map together and took turns giggling about the chicken-gun.

:lol:

I quit shortly after entering the castle. At that point it felt too much like work.

Depends on how detailed you are in your exploring (not that there’s much to explore, but there are a few side-tracks). If you are at the Alpine Caverns at 18 hours, you will definitely take longer than 40 to complete the game. If you are in the Eastern Swamp, then you’ll be cutting it around 35-40. If you are beyond that, then you are likely to hit your 30 hour limit.

My current game, which I’ve stopped for the moment just after the goblin tunnels from the Eastern Swamp, is at 21 hours. I’d say that’s about 60% of the game right there, which means I’m going to be closer to a 40 hour game than not. My first game took just under 40 hours (39:35:12).

Hope that helps.

I pulled off the amazing feat of finishing this game. Most people I talked to never made it past the diabolical swamps.

Depends on how detailed you are in your exploring (not that there’s much to explore, but there are a few side-tracks). If you are at the Alpine Caverns at 18 hours, you will definitely take longer than 40 to complete the game. If you are in the Eastern Swamp, then you’ll be cutting it around 35-40. If you are beyond that, then you are likely to hit your 30 hour limit.

My current game, which I’ve stopped for the moment just after the goblin tunnels from the Eastern Swamp, is at 21 hours. I’d say that’s about 60% of the game right there, which means I’m going to be closer to a 40 hour game than not. My first game took just under 40 hours (39:35:12).[/quote]
Sounds like I’m making pretty expedient progress then – I killed the Dragon of Rathe at around hour 17 or so. So I should be pretty far past the halfway point…

That’s blistering progress indeed. As far as I can recall, you’re very close to the end of the game as it is. If you even hit 25 hours, I’d be surprised. Straight as an arrow, eh?

Dungeon Siege was gorgeous to look at, and had great sound and an excellent score, but the whole “tunnelly” this-is-the-path gameplay got pretty old. Plus the loot drops were boring-- it was usually something your character couldn’t possibly use or something you already had twelve of.

I finished it twice–though the second time through I was unable to knock off the final iteration of the end boss. I’ll probably run through it again before I try the official add-on (still on my to-do list) and some of the third-party adventures. (Has the remake of Ultima V–Lazarus, I think it’s called–been finished yet?)

Peter

[quote=“Equisilus”]

That’s blistering progress indeed. As far as I can recall, you’re very close to the end of the game as it is. If you even hit 25 hours, I’d be surprised. Straight as an arrow, eh?[/quote]
I think the key is that I have the difficulty on the lowest setting. :P

I have actually put a reasonable effort into completing the sidequests, but IIRC, I’ve only managed to complete about half of them.

According to their site, it’s 89% complete (select the game status option to the right.) I think it was scheduled for a May release, but that’s recently been delayed by some as-of-yet unknown amount of time. I’m guessing we’ll see it towards the end of this year. BTW, the demo really kicks ass; they did a great job. If the rest of the game is of a similar quality, this thing could be something special.

I played the original game up to Wesrins Cross. You enter into a huge dungeon there and I found my party was getting repeatedly killed by a giant spider in a corridor you had to pass through. Be afraid of any RPGs and FPSs with giant spiders. I’ve never made it past that point.

I picked up the expansion and played through it with a few friends, though. I actually enjoyed the game much more that way and the improvements to the multiplayer along with some interface tweaks really helped. The expansion started to flag toward the end, but we made it through.