Has it been 10 years already?

alt.binaries.[your fetish here]

Or so I’ve been told.

I followed a link here from Dave Long at GAF (not even NeoGAF) of all things. Didn’t take long for me to figure out that this is where my people are.

I remember Usenet with fondness. It was the wild west, completely unmoderated, yet people took it upon themselves to attempt moderation. There was a guy known as “Old Salt” who would crab in the wargames group about posts not being appropriate. There was a huge fight about whether Diablo belonged in the RPG group. Derek Smart and Cleve Blakemore were frequent presences. The “you all have big mouse” post came from Usenet.

I remember reading the forum here a while before K0NY arrived, and then left. It’s probably weird that I recall those times by the outliers.

I’m also trying to remember how I signed up and I believe it was because of Bill Harris - I followed him from Gone Gold to his blog (Dubious Quality) and then to QT3 - I’m not sure if he’s here in Qt3 but he surely pointed it out in one of his writings.

I’m posting in this thread just to check my join date…

Edit: Wow, 13 years.

I lurked a while beforehand, but it’s been a hair over ten years that I sent my join request. I feel super old now.