Has Microsoft become the good guys?

To me it’s been like night and day between Ballmer and Nadella as far as not going out of your way to alienate developers. It’s allowed them to stay relevant even though they were late to cloud and mobile. They might not be “the good guys” but they are not noticeably more evil than, say, Google is now.

Technically they were the market leader in moblie with Windows Mobile, but ignored it until it was too late and Apple, then Google ate their lunch.

speaking as someone who went with the Windows Mobile HTC slider which had 3g and gps long before the iPhone…

Really?

I just wanna say I love Visual Studio Code with all my heart.

Ars today:

If Linux on Windows 2.0 and the Windows Terminal approach what MS is promising, I’ll be something like 70% less annoyed with Windows.

What I really want is for one of the Linux premium laptops to be sufficiently excellent for me to be comfortable investing in one instead of a Macbook for my personal dev machine by the time my MBP dies. Hell with the Apple tax.

Microsoft also gives a 10% discount to any K-12 teacher or college-level instructor on anything in the Microsoft Store including the computers they sell.

What version are you on? I know a version (2011, I think) removed VBA but it was restored.

MS employees don’t even get training in evil anymore. It’s all inclusion and listening and privacy and supporting others stuff.

Heck, now MS is even playing nice with Sony on game streaming services.

Have you tried the existing Windows Subsystem for Linux in Windows 10? It’s actually pretty good, with the main problem being performance issues for the NTFS disks mounted under Linux. I’ve been using it a little for basic tools with Ubuntu (CLI, no GUI) and haven’t run into issues (I run my performance-heavy Linux stuff on other servers.)

I poked around it but my understanding is that you really don’t want to fuck with your Windows filesystem from Linux and vice versa. This limits its uses pretty badly, for my purposes anyway.

Could be I misunderstood something in my haphazard researching, though.

Ah, I thought the compatibility issues were only if you used programs which try to poke deeper into the filesystem. Didn’t hear about wider corruption, though. Maybe I missed something. Everything I’ve been doing just reads some files and writes out to other files, so it’s pretty simple usage.

That’s entirely possible. I saw “file corruption” and ran away screaming, pretty much.

Who at Microsoft has decided that Office needs proliferating proprietary file management systems? What’s wrong with the file manager that comes built into Windows, that Microsoft itself made? Whenever I want to save something I now have to go through two separate crappy file managers before I’m allowed to actually save something where I want to.

Edit: Also, not quite as egregious, but what’s up with this piecemeal redesign of the Outlook UI to add more white space? First it was the search box, now it’s the message pane header. Either do it all together or not at all, MS. It just looks weird now, like it’s got one foot in the old UI and one in some other app’s UI.

I can’t believe it’s 2019 and there’s still a save button in Word at all. They must have some research that a large percentage of users love pressing that button over and over.

It me.

I mourn the loss of “Apply” buttons on dialogs. I get that uneasy feeling when I change a bunch of settings and have no idea if it actually saved it or not when I close the window. The Save button is probably like that. :)

I admit that at this point if there’s a Save button anywhere, not just Word, I hit it like four or five times. It’s a habit at this point. I don’t know what my fingers would do if they took the save button away.

Raise the middle one in salute?

Or maybe that’s just me.