Hateful Eight - Tarantino's 8th movie

The Hateful Eight follows the steadily ratcheting tension that develops after a blizzard diverts a stagecoach from its route, and traps a pitiless and mistrustful group which includes a competing pair of bounty hunters, a renegade Confederate soldier, and a female prisoner in a saloon in the middle of nowhere.

Cast announced so far: Bruce Dern, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Madsen, Kurt Russell, James Remar, Amber Tamblyn, Walton Goggins, and Zoe Bell.

Oh Quentin, you had me at Goggins.

Although please do us a favor and forego your usual (extended) cameo appearance. Please?

Looks like a pretty good cast. Nice to see Goggins in there.

An image of the cast at a live reading of the script:

Seconded

It’s going to be weird seeing him in a part where he isn’t doing Boyd-speak.

As someone who has just finished watching The Shield, I hope he’s not called upon to cry (or that he’s gotten better at it).

I read it as Hatoful Eight at first. I was hoping for pigeon hi-jinx…

I admit it’s rather self-indulgant, but I can’t believe there are people out there that despise his cameos. Jimmy was great! The cameo in django was alot of fun too, I love how he decided to off his own character.

I thought he held his own against Clooney (which is different from being an equal, mind) in From Dusk Till Dawn. Still, I can see how it’s getting old. I appreciated that Kill Bill & Inglourious Basterds didn’t have any Quentin cameos. Or at least none overt enough for me to notice.

Yeah. I’m not even sure that it matters at this point whether he is a good actor or not. My problem is that it is just jarring. Essentially, you get to that point in the movie where you’re going, “Oh, here’s the Quentin Tarantino cameo,” and it takes you out of the flow of the movie.

I have this with some other actors as well, even when I love the actor (to some degree). Christopher Walken, for example. It’s like you’re watching a movie, and all of a sudden things come to a screeching halt for the Walken scene(s).

You could watch Sons of Anarchy…he has one scene in the first season (I think), and a few more in the last season. All of which are definitely not-Boyd.

Cast update:

1. Samuel L. Jackson as Major Marquis Warren,
  2. Kurt Russell as John “The Hangman” Ruth,
  3. Jennifer Jason Leigh as Daisy Domergue,
  4. Walton Goggins as Chris Mannix,
  5. Demian Bichir as Bob,
  6. Tim Roth as Oswaldo Mobray,
  7. Michael Madsen as Joe Gage and
  8. Bruce Dern as General Sanford Smithers.
    ?. Channing Tatum has signed on for an unspecified role.

Apparently Amber Tamblyn was replaced by Jennifer Jason Leigh since the earlier cast reading.

Woot!

Teaser: http://thefilmstage.com/trailer/quentin-tarantinos-the-hateful-eight-teaser-trailer-officially-released/

Huh. So the linked article mentions the film hasn’t started shooting, but will be released later this year? That seems a bit aggressive doesn’t it?

The first sentence says “As production recently wrapped on The Hateful Eight, we’ve still got many months before we see Quentin Tarantino‘s highly-anticipated western.” Did it say something else when you read it?

Well the second paragraph is confusing:

Helping out his friend Robert Rodriguez, a teaser (featuring no footage from the yet-to-be-shot feature) was attached to the Sin City: A Dame to Kill For , but considering that sequel picked up less than $15 million here in the U.S., it didn’t quite have its intended effect. However, eight months later, it’s now available officially online to view in all of its title card glory (with some Gimme Danger by Iggy and the Stooges to back it up).

They’re saying a teaser—previously only shown before Sin City—that they made before they shot the movie is now online. If you just read that paragraph, or read it quickly, the “yet-to-be-shot” line could throw you off.

So the comment is saying that at the time Sin City 2 was being worked on, no footage had been shot for Hateful Eight yet? Ok sure, I guess that info might be useful to somebody.

This teaser itself is 8 months old, that’s what they’re trying to get across. It’s an old teaser, from before the movie was shot, but it’s only just being released online.