Have you ever made your own game?

I love this. It’s adorable.

This reminds me of another story! Not about me, though.

A kid made a Duke Nukem 3D map of our high school. It was hilarious. He filled it with Easter eggs. The best one was the equipment trailer in the field behind the tennis courts. For some reason, all the dudes would pee on this thing during outdoor gym class. So this kid put an invisible urinal on it so you could heal at the trailer in his map.

Imagine making a ln FPS map of your high school today? You’d get a visit from the FBi.

1 Like

I made a text adventure (with multi-colored fonts) on my Commodore VIC 20 when it first came out that only lasted 2-5 minutes because no matter where you stepped (N, E, S, W), a tendriled lovecraftian horror (or the very carnivorous alien grass itself) would either devour you or rend you into your primal pieces. It scared the shit out of my teenage niece (the only person to play it).

1 Like

DARK SOULS

1 Like

What a fantastic thread!

I don’t think I’ve ever made a physical game, but I’ve created tons of tiny video games since I was a kid in any engine or tool I could get my hands on.

In the last few years, after being surprised by just how obtuse even “kid-friendly” video games are to 3-5 year olds with little to no reading ability, I started making little Pico-8 games for my kids. It’s really fun to integrate whatever oddball suggestion they make into the game and see them be floored when it happens. In a little zelda-style game where you had to solve simple sokoban puzzles to hug woodland critters, the X and Y buttons weren’t in use. My daughter suggested that they should cycle through a bunch of hats on every character, totally unrelated to gameplay. And it was a hit!

The youngest is currently aging into real games now, and I guess I’ll have to actually make fun-to-play prototypes if I want them to keep playing :)

1 Like

Solid parenting!

I invented the game.

You know, the one you just lost.

…Moderators!?

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

When I was twelve or so, I got three packs of these Warhammer Trump Cards: Citadel Combat Cards | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

And since I never heard of Warhammer before, proceeded to invent the tabletop genre again with my buddy, creating a combat system based on the stats on the cards, dividing them into armys based on their alignment symbol amd having the good and the evil (technically chaos, but we were D&D geeks and didn’t know better) side clash with some neutrals being caught in the middle. I distinctly remember giving the units special powers based on the icons at the bottom, but alas, there never were any written rules.

Other than that, I just dabbled around with text based games and made a really short one about a super hero being caught in an unwinnable rap battle.

And neither did GW! ;)

When I was 12 my friend and I spent the whole summer building a board game to play like what we thought D&D was. Sounds like this is a common experience! Neither of us had hands on experience with the source at the time, but we had played lots of JRPGs and Heroes of Might and Magic. So our game involved you building parties of 3 characters and a exploring a giant gridded map. If you could survive long enough to get to towns, you could recruit new characters (always restricted at the 3 party limit) of the species of the local inhabitants, that all had special abilities.

We never actually tried playing the game, I think it would’ve been terrible. But we built a map out of maybe 2 dozen sheets of paper. It filled the floor of our living room whenever we were working on it.

Playing the Mage Knight board game feels nostalgic to me because it reminds me of that childhood game a lot. It’s got the same space consuming nature, tons of bolted on systems to the point of absurdity, and that feeling of being a little bit Heroes of Might and Magic, a little bit heroic JRPG, and a little bit TTRPG. Obviously a much better design, but always a nice trip down memory lane. I wish I had pictures! They’re vivid in my memory.

I work in the video game industry now. There was a time I was always making side projects as well. No idea if they still work, but I made a classic simple graphical roguelike about 15 years called Through which feels more like turn based Gauntlet than the systems heavy classics of the time. I also made a game called There Is Only Power where my initial goal was to capture the feeling I had working on that board game all those years ago. It’s a strategy roguelike where you build up an army to conquer a kingdom before they can raise enough forces to destroy you.

Both of these took a ton of free time to build. It took me years to realize I was burning myself out hard by working on video games all workday and then coming home to work on my own. Eventually I got a handle on overworking. Nowadays my side projects are almost entirely TTRPG things I run with my friends and then throw away after. It’s the perfect amount of engagement for a side project to feel creative but not get burnt out.

I can confirm Through works just fine! Download the Windows version, unpack, and click the exe.

I remember playing There is Only Power, I believe. My memory was that I beat it, whatever that means, but my memory may be failing me!

I remember you posting about it here! It was definitely nice to hear about it getting played. I had a lot of emotions invested in it when it first came out, too much!

Great thread!

This was me too; my big breakthrough was finding a BASIC text adventure game in the back of an Amstrad magazine that you could type in and play. I had an MSX, which was a Japanese brand that became really popular in the smaller European countries for some reason. I ‘converted’ the program to MSX BASIC (99% the same lol) and it really blew my 13-year-old mind that

DATA: "You are standing in a dappled glade. A host of bluebells wave gently in the wind. You can go north, south, east and west", 10, 23, 14, 5

…the four numbers at the end of that statement corresponded to N, S, E and W, and took you to the corresponding location description in the array upon input. So N took you to entry 10 etc.

It was a real, So that’s how it works moment.

That initial magazine game did a lot of heavy lifting as I used it as a template for my own games.

I rediscovered gaming as an adult and inherited one of the mid-size Mount and Blade mods after some forum drama. I didn’t have any hand in its creation, but ported it across to Mount and Blade: Warband when that came out, and it had a fairly gratifying number of downloads.

So not really a creator, more of a convertor/porter :P

Of all the things in this thread, this one hit me the hardest. Though I’m not in the gaming industry I’m still in tech and it describes me quite a bit. The last thing I want to do once home is open up the laptop and work on issues. And to be honest, there is -some- part of even my love for gaming where I feel this way, though it’s still something akin to an addiction. I’ll step away from PC games occasionally only to fall back in during a new release and suddenly buy 4 more games for a backlog I doubt I’ll ever get to.

I’m going to add to the chorus here, these are totally awesome.