Have you planned to buy a PS Vita?

Don’t see anyone beating the SuperUFO price yet, $87 including shipping (to Au).

Think I’m gonna bite and get a Vita. Just too much free stuff (if you consider $50/year Plus sub free) to not have one at this point. Especially considering I have a PS3 and will get a PS4 at some point so the Plus sub is just an insanely good deal.

Couple of quick questions:
Should I try and find an early version? I think I read here that the screen is better, but haven’t stumbled across that post again yet.
32Gig card good enough, or will that fill up too quick?
Persona 4 is a guaranteed buy, but what about an ARPG? Or other RPG because you can never have enough (and there seems to be tons of odd JRPGs on the store)?
FPSs (multiplayer)?
Any other ‘must haves’ for this little system that could?

Both versions have their plusses and minuses I think, but I’m more than happy with my original Vita.
I have a 16GB and I have to juggle a bit with all the fun PS+ releases, so while a 32 SHOULD be fine, it’ll likely fill up. ;)
I’ve heard Joanne D’Arc is excellent as an RPG, and I’ve been getting a good deal of traction out of Z.H.P. If you like strategic RPGs, Valkyira Chronicles 2 and Tactics Ogre are excellent, as is Final Fantasy Tactics, so I’m told.
Can’t help on FPS.
Must haves depends on what you like. For me so far what’s elevated the system for me have been Spelunky, Motorstorm R.C., Guacamelee, Sound Shapes and some others. It’s really an excellent system. :)

More than enough, unless you want to have a huge digital backlog on there. Not having the room to store them all gives us a reason to finish games. :)

Any other ‘must haves’ for this little system that could?

I recommend trying the Tearaway demo. It’s not something everyone would love, but it’s adorably all-ages friendly and shows off some of the neat things Vita games can do.

My replies in bold:

16 GB gets filled if you have a PS Plus subscription. That’s about a year’s worth of downloads.

Jeanne d’arc was my favorite PSP Go game. Well balanced, you don’t have to grind to pass the next map. Disgaea 3 is an excellent port.

32 is the biggest you can get in North America but it will still fill up quickly. It’s still overpriced.

I’m fine with the 4gb card that came bundled with the Vita I bought. It means I’m usually restricted to trying one game at a time, which means I’m more likely to finish them. I never would have gotten through to the better parts of Uncharted if I’d had a bigger memory card.

I bought it now to have the better screen. I didn’t really need a Vita but I didn’t want the nicer screen version to go away. With that said, now that I have it, I’m constantly surprised by how heavy it is, and I’ve dropped it a few times now because of that misjudgement of weight (luckily it is very sturdy, no damage so far). So maybe getting the new lighter model is a good trade off.

For action RPGs, Ys: Memories of Celceta and Soul Sacrifice (though you may want to wait for Soul Sacrifice Delta, which will include all the content of the initial release); I don’t recommend Dungeon Hunter unless you can get it for under $10. For other RPGs, Persona 4 is basically your best option for native Vita stuff, but there are some others you might be interested in; I’m not a big fan of the Atelier games, but Atelier Totori and Atelier Meruru (and, soon, Atelier Rorona) are available on Vita with additional content over the PS3 versions, and there are also exclusives like Demon Gaze and Mind Zero on their way to the west. The PSP library on PSN also has quite a few excellent JRPGs in it, so it’s worth looking through there.

Final Fantasy X and X-2! Oh, and Persona 3 Portable on PSP.
I have an 8GB card, and thanks to Plus I’m shuffling games out as quickly as I get them.

Does Jeanne d’arc work okay on the PSVita? I’ve noticed some PSP games in the Sony store say both PSP and Vita, but Jeanne d’arc only says PSP.

Hope so. I’d bought it on disc right before my son killed our PSP through a water spill a number of years ago, and never got to play it that time.

Supposedly you can get it on there by downloading it to a PS3 and transferring it from there. I did that with Valkyria Chronicles 2 and it worked perfectly, but haven’t personally tried it with Jeanne. Sounds reasonable enough that it would actually run once you got it onto the Vita, though.

Monster Hunter Unite I’d finally available for free on the PS store (if you’re a plus member).
Really looking forward to trying this out with two analog sticks.

Do NOT update your Vita with the latest firmware. It just bricked mine. Goes into endless reboot. Common theme seems to be 32 gb memory cards but as usual it could be anything.

Avoid the update until they pull it.

Too late! Mine updated yesterday morning. I use my Vita to listen to NPR at work using Tune-in, and I couldn’t do that yesterday without updating the firmware.

Luckily, my Vita works fine. (I have a 4g memory card, maybe that’s why). And they just added Hulu Plus yesterday, so I was able to watch the latest episode of Cosmos last night while I was in bed. Yay!

Mine updated fine this morning (thankfully), but I have a 16g card so maybe that does make the difference.

Yeah, browsing through the US PS blog at http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/24/ps-vita-system-software-update-3-10/comment-page-5/#comments gives a strong “only 32GB cards” vibe: the bricked systems all boot normally after the user takes out the memory card, or swaps it for a different size memory card. One even succeeded in reviving his/her Vita by formatting the 32GB card. (ouch)

Still, I would appreciate it if someone with a 64GB card could confirm that all is peachy, before I upgrade. I would not be pleased if I lost access to my Persona 4 savegame.

I have 64GB card and updated without incident.

Thanks!

FYI, I have a 32 GB card and the update went just fine last night.

The tool to manage content is a little slow, but is waaaay better than having to check each bubble.